RE: multiple exe

From: Lee Mitchell (Leemi_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 08/04/04

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:50:31 GMT

Hi Wilson:

You say "But it does not work as expected." What do you mean? Do you get an
error? Is the wrong data printed? Do you not see the preview window?

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

*-- VFP9 Public Beta Now Available!! --*
Download the VFP9 beta here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/

*-- VFP8 HAS ARRIVED!! --*
Read about all the new features of VFP8 here:
   http://www.universalthread.com/VisualFoxPro/News/VFP8Release.asp
Purchase VFP8 here:
   http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/Productinfo.asp?siteID=11518

Keep an eye on the product lifecycle for Visual FoxPro here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;[ln];lifeprodv
   - VFP5 Mainstream Support retired June 30th, 2003
   - VFP6 Mainstream Support retired Sept. 30th, 2003

"Sietse Wijnker" <sietse.wijnker@ATsw-software.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> DLLs created with VFP are not function libraries as you can create them
with
> f.i. C++. The dll files in VFP are COM-components (single-or
> multi-threaded). This means that when you create a DLL with VFP you'll
have
> to instanciate an OLEPUBLIC class within that dll to access code within
the
> library.
>
> FI
> DEFINE CLASS SayHello AS Custom OLEPUBLIC
> PROCEDURE SayHello(cString)
> STRTOFILE(cString, "log.txt")
> ENDPROC
> ENDDEFINE
> Save the following code to SayHello.prg and compile the dll using
> BUILD PROJECT SayHello FROM SayHello.prg
> BUILD DLL SayHello.dll FROM SayHello
> in the command window (BTW. I'm using a single threaded dll here, to
create
> a multithreaded dll use BUILD MTDLL)
> There's a good piece of info in the VFP help on 'Creating Automation
> Servers'
>
> Problem you'll find is that COM-components in DLL CAN'T visually interact
> with the user. If you want your library to visually interact with the
user,
> you'll have to compile the secondary project to an EXE or an APP. This
gives
> you the possibility to have a completely other design because now you can
> have a main startup program or form which starts when you activate the app
> or exe (do 2ndappfile.exe)
> You can also use SET CLASSLIB to refer to a classlib in the other app-file
>
> HTH,
> Sietse Wijnker
>
> "Noble Thomas" <nobletk@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > I am using VFP 6. My EXE file is getting bigger and bigger, which makes
us
> > hard to send file via email for support. So we have decided to use DLL
> > projects for easy support.
> >
> > To test functioning of DLL's I have created a small project with a
> function
> > to display "Hello World" and used the following command to call, but
giver
> > error "Cannot fing the entry point SayHello in the dll".
> >
> > This is the program
> > -----------
> > SayHello() && Calling the function
> > FUNCTION SayHello
> > =MESSAGEBOX("Hello World 123")
> > ENDFUNC
> > -----------
> >
> > Command issued is
> > --------------
> > declare SayHello in test1.dll
> > ?sayHello() **** gives error *****
> > ---------------
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > If anyone can forward a small project like this to demo dll function,
> [...]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: DLL - entry point
    ... > main program to the report exe, which contain a start up program and all ... >> DLLs created with VFP are not function libraries as you can create them ... >> to instanciate an OLEPUBLIC class within that dll to access code within ... >> DEFINE CLASS SayHello AS Custom OLEPUBLIC ...
    (microsoft.public.fox.vfp.dbc)
  • Re: DLL - entry point
    ... DLLs created with VFP are not function libraries as you can create them with ... The dll files in VFP are COM-components (single-or ... This means that when you create a DLL with VFP you'll have ... DEFINE CLASS SayHello AS Custom OLEPUBLIC ...
    (microsoft.public.fox.vfp.dbc)
  • Re: DLL - entry point
    ... E.g., to print a report "emp_list" report, I pass the parameter from the ... > DLLs created with VFP are not function libraries as you can create them ... This means that when you create a DLL with VFP you'll ... > DEFINE CLASS SayHello AS Custom OLEPUBLIC ...
    (microsoft.public.fox.vfp.dbc)
  • Re: DLL - entry point
    ... E.g., to print a report "emp_list" report, I pass the parameter from the ... > DLLs created with VFP are not function libraries as you can create them ... This means that when you create a DLL with VFP you'll ... > DEFINE CLASS SayHello AS Custom OLEPUBLIC ...
    (microsoft.public.fox.vfp.dbc)
  • multiple exe