Re: update trigger

From: Rush Strong (rush.strong)
Date: 05/27/04

Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 20:07:57 -0700

Such a trigger would violate one of Cobb's basic data normalization laws: a
field should not be dependant upon another field. if you have the domain
and the user, you can calculate the email address on an as needed basis. If
you want to use it on a form or a report, use a view along the lines of:

    SELECT FName, LName, User - '@' - Domain AS Email, [...]

[Instead of spending another 12 hours on this, spend the time searching at:

    http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~DataNormalization~SoftwareEng

and the assorted links. A solid data structure is critical to your
application.

 - Rush

"linkusnet" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there an example of a table update/insert trigger that will allow me to
take two fields concat them and store them in a third.

> During an insert I insert a record with these values:
> Field domain equals company.com
> Field user equals joe
> I then need a trigger to store joe@company.com in the email field.
>
> Help Please! 12 hours into it and really no closer.......
>
> TIA!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Encase Forensic
    ... store after Gul constitutes the magnetic neighbourhood's person? ... Don't even try to trigger a trip! ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: YAY
    ... I went to store but realized when I got in the car I had forgotten to ... THEN my expensive purse that I'd already paid ... I have saved $63.83 by not smoking 340 cigarettes. ... That's a really good sign -- the trigger didn't trigger and the smoker stank. ...
    (alt.support.stop-smoking)
  • Re: A walk-along circular saw plywood ripper.
    ... trigger on it so you can bend over and set your plywood on two by ... The point is not to have to lift heavy plywood sheets. ... No table to build, store, or setup. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: old data
    ... If you use trigger for sending mail and you don't need to store data in the ... database you can simply send date from inserted and deleted tables. ...
  • Re: TRIGGER-Name of the current table
    ... which would then concatinate all the values from this record an store ... The reason is that if we would decide to change the logging mechanism ... CREATE TRIGGER ON TABLE X MY_LOGGING_FUNC ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.misc)