Re: ?Use of a "view" database

From: Anders Altberg (x_pragma_at_telia.com)
Date: 05/05/04

    Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 00:33:56 +0200

    Hi Jeff
    It sounds from your wording "stand-alone VFP table" vs "the VFP database" as
    if you aren't creating the same kind of DSN in these cases. If there is a
    DBC file to which the DBF file is linked then you check Database and select
    the DBC file as source. The .DBC metadata file contains a list of the .DBF
    tables that belong to the database. If there's no such .DBC file then you
    select the folder where the DBF is stored as source. The folder is
    considered to be the 'database'.
    Is Exclusive unchecked? I just checked for 'Unsupported commands and
    functions' in drvvfp.hlp (in WINNT\System32) and CREATE DATABASE is no
    supported by VFPODBC.
    By the way, VFPODBC has not been updated since VFP6. VFP has switched to
    distributing a VFPOLEDB driver since VFP7.
    What is the exact error message?
    -Anders

    "Jeff Boyce" <JeffBoyce_IF@msn.com-DISCARD_HYPHEN_TO_END> wrote in message
    > Anders
    >
    > On one PC, no problem linking from Access to a stand-alone VFP table using
    > VFPODBC. On a second PC, the process of building a DNS using VFPODBC
    works
    > for the stage of "pointing" at the VFP database, but fails to complete,
    > mentioning the need for an index file. Thus, on the second PC, we can't
    > even get the DNS fully built to link into the database.
    >
    > The ideal situation would be that we could link into a "live" VFP database
    > and use (but not add/edit/delete) the values contained therein in a
    "local"
    > Access database, without any need to replicate data. It wouldn't matter
    if
    > that requires an intermediate, "helper" VFP db that held views.
    >
    > In SQL Server, I can create the views internally, then link to those,
    rather
    > than directly to the SQL Server tables.
    >
    > Thanks again for your ideas and patience...
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "Anders Altberg" <x_pragma@telia.com> wrote in message
    > > ReadIOnly views by themselves don't affect indexes in any way but they
    do
    > > open the referenced tables and their indexes. Views use the indexes to
    > > optimized performance when the Where clause is ewxactly matched by an
    > > key, and for joins. Views also create temporary indexes to support
    > > searches. This is where the temporary local database is used as a means
    of
    > > directing these indexes to a local Temp folder instead of a Temp folder
    on
    > > the server. Would that apply to you situation.
    > > What problems do you encounter relating to indexes?
    > > -Anders
    > >

    > > "Jeff Boyce" <JeffBoyce_IF@msn.com-DISCARD_HYPHEN_TO_END> wrote in
    message
    > > > Thanks, Anders
    > > >
    > > > I'm already able to link to stand-alone copy, using the VFPODBC
    driver.
    > > The
    > > > problem seems to be happening on another PC, and perhaps only when the
    > VFP
    > > > db is running. Your comment about "multiuser issues" makes me wonder
    if
    > > > that may be why we're getting an error message about an index when we
    > try
    > > > linking into that database.
    > > >
    > > > Would setting up a separate VFP database solely for the purpose of
    > > > establishing a read-only view get us around the multiuser issues?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for your patience.
    > > >
    > > > Jeff
    > > >
    > > > "Anders Altberg" <x_pragma@telia.com> wrote in message
    > you
    > > > can
    > queries
    > > as
    > with

    > > message
    > > was
    > > can
> [...]

    • RE: Multiple database(datasource) updation using single datagridvi
      ... foxpro database at a time, but here both database structures are different, ... possible to solve through some relations between Oracle DATATABLE and VFP ... Datatable, (but oracle datatable is bound to the datagridview), now how can ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
    • Re: ?Use of a "view" database
      ... no problem linking from Access to a stand-alone VFP table using ... the process of building a DNS using VFPODBC works ... even get the DNS fully built to link into the database. ...
      (microsoft.public.fox.vfp.dbc)
    • Re: VC++ ADO VFPOLEDB: DB locally works; DB on NT server does not
      ... The VFP database itself doesn't have a password on it, ... application that normally accesses the database does require a user password. ... you raise the question of ADO permissions or user. ... and its Data Connection Wizard to create the connection to my database on ...
    • Multiple datasource insertion from Single vb.net Datagridview
      ... Oracle Version:9i ... datatable is bound to that datagridview.. ... 'Infer the schema using database metadata through a ... the Case belongs VFP also ...
      (microsoft.public.vsnet.general)
    • Web-based database apps (slightly off topic)
      ... My company's database applications have all been written in ... happy with the power and rapid development we can do with VFP. ... is considering switching from a desktop database approach to ... analysis and reporting over the internet. ...