Re: Problems with decimals in an APPEND FROM using Oracle 8i

From: Igor Korolyov (k1i2v3_at_km.ru)
Date: 03/15/04

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:13:04 +0200

Hi, Rodolfo!
You wrote on Mon, 15 Mar 2004 04:31:10 -0800:

RR> I'm working with VFP6 SP5 - XPPro - Oracle8i

RR> Using a SQLCONNECT command, i get a cursor from Oracle8i database and
RR> the fields with decimals are correctly retrieved;

[Sorry, skipped]

Are you absolutely sure that they are retreived correctly? There is one big
bug with "
Oracle ODBC driver" (and someimes even with MS one - "Microsoft ODBC for
Oracle") - they retreive data with decimals in incorrect form - so it is OK
when you see on it in browse or grid, but it will lost all the decimal part
when you'll try to work with it - even simple

? csr.nFieldWithDecimals

Will show the error - no decimal part at all.
So I'll say you have to see if you really have this problem, or another one.
I don't know any reliable way to solve the problem - I usually use MS ODBC
driver, and If I have problems with it - I try to reinstall different
versions of Oracle Client software - 8.1.5, 8.1.7, 9.0, 9.2
Another option will be in removing decimal fields at all - rereive them as
character ones (TO_CHAR()), or multiply to shift decimal part left - say
nNUMBER8_2Field*100. Then you may restore decimal field on client side...

RR> Seems to me there's some incompatibility in the APPEND FROM command,
RR> because I used a COPY TO command instaead, and the decimals where
RR> transferred OK to a new table.

COPY TO will "dump" what you have in cursor - so even this half-erroneous
decimal fields will be transfered in their unchanged form - but you'll again
have problem when you'll try to access this data (and you'll see it OK in
BROWSE window).

--
WBR, Igor

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Loosing decimals with an APPEND FROM command after getting a cursor from an ORACLE 8i database
    ... The fields should be Nwith a comma, not a point. ... before the APPEND command. ... i get a cursor from Oracle8i database and the ... fields with decimals are correctly retrieved; but when i use an APPEND FROM ...
    (microsoft.public.fox.vfp.queries-sql)
  • Re: Setting output decimal precision
    ... decimals in the MATLAB command window. ... I know and am familiar with the 'format' command - however, I can only force it to either give me 4 digits or 15. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: Problems with decimals in an APPEND FROM using Oracle 8i
    ... > I've tryied with many SET commands but the problem still is there. ... > My application was working properly in W98, but when I decided to upgrade to XPPro the problem appears. ... > Seems to me there's some incompatibility in the APPEND FROM command, because I used a COPY TO command instaead, and the decimals where transferred OK to a new table. ...
    (microsoft.public.fox.vfp.dbc)
  • Re: Convert digital input binary vector to decimal value
    ... Then convert it to decimal using the command: ... My question is, how do I make when converting the binary vector, get numbers with decimals and negatives numbers? ... y will end up as a signed single precision floating point number if WordSize is 32, and as a signed double precision floating point number otherwise. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)