Re: Problems with decimals in an APPEND FROM using Oracle 8i

From: Igor Korolyov (k1i2v3_at_km.ru)
Date: 03/15/04

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:13:04 +0200

Hi, Rodolfo!
You wrote on Mon, 15 Mar 2004 04:31:10 -0800:

RR> I'm working with VFP6 SP5 - XPPro - Oracle8i

RR> Using a SQLCONNECT command, i get a cursor from Oracle8i database and
RR> the fields with decimals are correctly retrieved;

[Sorry, skipped]

Are you absolutely sure that they are retreived correctly? There is one big
bug with "
Oracle ODBC driver" (and someimes even with MS one - "Microsoft ODBC for
Oracle") - they retreive data with decimals in incorrect form - so it is OK
when you see on it in browse or grid, but it will lost all the decimal part
when you'll try to work with it - even simple

? csr.nFieldWithDecimals

Will show the error - no decimal part at all.
So I'll say you have to see if you really have this problem, or another one.
I don't know any reliable way to solve the problem - I usually use MS ODBC
driver, and If I have problems with it - I try to reinstall different
versions of Oracle Client software - 8.1.5, 8.1.7, 9.0, 9.2
Another option will be in removing decimal fields at all - rereive them as
character ones (TO_CHAR()), or multiply to shift decimal part left - say
nNUMBER8_2Field*100. Then you may restore decimal field on client side...

RR> Seems to me there's some incompatibility in the APPEND FROM command,
RR> because I used a COPY TO command instaead, and the decimals where
RR> transferred OK to a new table.

COPY TO will "dump" what you have in cursor - so even this half-erroneous
decimal fields will be transfered in their unchanged form - but you'll again
have problem when you'll try to access this data (and you'll see it OK in
BROWSE window).

--
WBR, Igor

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Loosing decimals with an APPEND FROM command after getting a cursor from an ORACLE 8i database
    ... The fields should be Nwith a comma, not a point. ... before the APPEND command. ... i get a cursor from Oracle8i database and the ... fields with decimals are correctly retrieved; but when i use an APPEND FROM ...
    (microsoft.public.fox.vfp.queries-sql)
  • Re: Setting output decimal precision
    ... decimals in the MATLAB command window. ... I know and am familiar with the 'format' command - however, I can only force it to either give me 4 digits or 15. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Loosing decimals with an APPEND FROM command after getting a cursor from an ORACLE 8i database
    ... I've tryied with many SET commands but the problem still is there. ... My application was working properly in W98, but when I decided to upgrade to XPPro the problem appears. ... Seems to me there's some incompatibility in the APPEND FROM command, because I used a COPY TO command instaead, and the decimals where transferred OK to a new table. ...
    (microsoft.public.fox.vfp.queries-sql)
  • Problems with decimals in an APPEND FROM using Oracle 8i
    ... I've tryied with many SET commands but the problem still is there. ... My application was working properly in W98, but when I decided to upgrade to XPPro the problem appears. ... Seems to me there's some incompatibility in the APPEND FROM command, because I used a COPY TO command instaead, and the decimals where transferred OK to a new table. ...
    (microsoft.public.fox.vfp.dbc)