Re: FILES statement in CONFIG - obsolete?

SYS(2010) returns the files setting in config.sys (or 255 in VFP), but does
not properly describe the relation between FILES settings and the different
version of VFP, nor does it mention config.nt, nor does it mention the
vfiles setting in system.ini (I forget exactly what it is called, it's been
too long since I needed this).

Even worse, it says "The files setting in your Config.sys file must be
somewhat greater than the number of files you would like to open in Visual
FoxPro.". This is flat wrong. VFP is not limited by this setting because it
doesn't use DOS file handles.

"Lee Mitchell" <Leemi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Hi Peter:
>
> I looked in the VFP 8.0 Help file under Config.fpw. I did not see
> "Files="
> eve listed. Windows takes are of this for you.
>

> I hope this helps.

> rights.
>
> Sincerely,
> Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
> Lee Mitchell
>
> *-- VFP9 HAS ARRIVED!! --*
> Read about all the new features of VFP9 here:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/
>
> *--Purchase VFP 9.0 here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/PRODUCTS/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=54787e64-52
> 69-4500-8bf2-3f06689f4ab3&type=ovr
>
> Keep an eye on the product lifecycle for Visual FoxPro here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselectindex
> - VFP5 Mainstream Support retired June 30th, 2003
> - VFP6 Mainstream Support retired Sept. 30th, 2003
>
>>In the earliest Foxes (maybe Foxbase?) there was a statement that could be
>>put in the CONFIG.FP file, reading like this:
>>FILES=50
>>meaning that an application could have up to 50 files open simultaneously.
>
>>I have found no reference to this statement in any recent documentation,
> up
>>through VFP 6. Is it correct to say that the FILES= statement is
> completely
>>obsolete?

  • Re: visual foxpro crashes
    ... Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support ... Keep an eye on the product lifecycle for Visual FoxPro here: ... progam that uses data from VFP is a dos based C program. ...
    (microsoft.public.fox.vfp.dbc)
  • Re: menu is invalid error!
    ... If you open a menu in VFP 7.0 and then try to open the same file in VFP ... 320266 How To Convert a Visual FoxPro 7.0 Menu to a Visual FoxPro 6.0 Format ... Purchase VFP8 here: ...
    (microsoft.public.fox.vfp.forms)
  • Re: VFP 10
    ... Hier handelt es sich zwar nicht um eine Entwicklungssprache als solches, aber es bietet seit neuestem die Möglichkeit VFP Tabellen - auch Version 9 - direkt anzusprechen. ... "I've put together a short screencast for FoxPro users who are curious about Advantage, but don't know where to start. ... Die Zugriffskomponenten sind wie der lokal Server kostenlos, ...
    (microsoft.public.de.fox)
  • Re: Start-Programm
    ... Foxpro diese wieder aus- ... Systemvariable _STARTUP, welche beim Start der VFP IDE automatisch ... ON PAD UtilPad OF _MSYSMENU ACTIVATE POPUP Utils ...
    (microsoft.public.de.fox)
  • Re: FPW on a 3.0GHz P4 - will it work?
    ... Have you tried posting this in the FoxPro 2.x discussion section of the VFP ... >machines and consistently gives the out of memory errors on machines faster ... >upgrading to XP is expensive and breaks too many of our current apps. ...