Re: FPW on a 3.0GHz P4 - will it work?

From: Lee Mitchell (Leemi_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 12/16/04

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:02:37 GMT

Hi Ook:

I am sorry none of my troubleshooting steps helped. I gave it my best shot.

Have you tried posting this in the FoxPro 2.x discussion section of the VFP
forum on www.universalthread.com? There seem to be a lot of smart,
experienced people on that forum and maybe someone there has an answer that
allows you to run on XP. If you get an answer, it would be worth your
time.

You might also want to check this Windows forums for XP tweaking ideas:

http://www.windowsbbs.com/
http://www.virtualdr.com/

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

*-- VFP9 Public Beta Now Available!! --*
Download the VFP9 beta here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/

*-- VFP8 HAS ARRIVED!! --*
Read about all the new features of VFP8 here:
   http://www.universalthread.com/VisualFoxPro/News/VFP8Release.asp
Purchase VFP8 here:
   http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/Productinfo.asp?siteID=11518

Keep an eye on the product lifecycle for Visual FoxPro here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;[ln];lifeprodv
   - VFP5 Mainstream Support retired June 30th, 2003
   - VFP6 Mainstream Support retired Sept. 30th, 2003

>I toyed with the config.fpw. I usually use 80,10240,20480, but other
>settings did not help. I even played with config.nt, but was not able to
>make a difference. The exact same distribution runs fine on non-XP and
older
>machines and consistently gives the out of memory errors on machines faster
>then 2.4/2.6GHz that run XP. Do we expect these old apps to run forever?
>This works under Win2000 and is yet another reason why so many people here
>are still running Win2000. There seems to be a common perception that
>upgrading to XP is expensive and breaks too many of our current apps. Where
>I work right now we have hundreds of Win2000 machines, and only a handfull
>of XP machines. As much as Microsoft would love us to spend thousands of
>dollars upgrading the OS, we have too many legacy apps that we still use.

>Moving to VFP is not really an option. I don't think they want to invest
>millions in a technology that Microsoft doesn't believe is a suitable
>platform for enterprise development. Microsoft has made it quite clear the
>dot net is the way to go for enterprise development, so that is the path we
>are following. MS didn't have to discontinue VFP to kill it, all they had
>do was ignore it for long enough. We explored the VFP path, but could not
>find one single person who would stand up and tell us that VFP is the way
>go. It's dead, guys....dead dead dead :-) :P

>"Lee Mitchell" <Leemi@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Ook:
>
> So, they get the insufficient memory message. I assume you tried various
> setting for the Memlimit in the Config.fpw file. You might want to start
> with Memlimit=20,1024,2048
>
> Moving to VFP is the best solution in the long run. You really cannot
> expect these old 16-bit apps to run for ever on the newer machines.
>
> I hope this helps.

rights.

> Sincerely,
> Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
> Lee Mitchell
>

> >Apparently the story is that it isn't just the fast machines, but
> apparently
> >XP on fast machines running 2.4 GHz or so. They are so convinced of that
> >they they spent a small fortune doing an interim conversion to VFP to
tide
> >them over until the dot net conversion is done. I did some testing, and
> here
> >are the results:
>
> >PIII/800 Win2000. Runs fine.
> >Athlon 1700 Win98. Runs fine.
> >P4/3.0GHz WinXP. Gives "Insufficient memory".
> >P4 3.0GHz Win98. Runs fine.
> >Celeron 1.8GHz WinXP runs fine.
> >Celeron 1.8GHz Win98 runs fine.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: FPW on a 3.0GHz P4 - will it work?
    ... machines and consistently gives the out of memory errors on machines faster ... upgrading to XP is expensive and breaks too many of our current apps. ... Moving to VFP is not really an option. ... millions in a technology that Microsoft doesn't believe is a suitable ...
  • Re: Simple Question(s)
    ... client has its own VFP. ... apps for about 20 years. ... FoxPro is "default multiuser" since times of FoxPro DOS, ...
    (comp.databases.xbase.fox)
  • Re: windows 7 ui
    ... turning off Visual Themes in Vi$ta.... ... don't think Foxpro 9 supports the Visual Themes in Vi$ta and Win7. ... That's a problem of fox 2x apps, they don't work properly with themes. ... but VFP apps don't need to loook like Win NT or even 16 bit windows. ...
  • Re: VFP 10
    ... Hier handelt es sich zwar nicht um eine Entwicklungssprache als solches, aber es bietet seit neuestem die Möglichkeit VFP Tabellen - auch Version 9 - direkt anzusprechen. ... "I've put together a short screencast for FoxPro users who are curious about Advantage, but don't know where to start. ... Die Zugriffskomponenten sind wie der lokal Server kostenlos, ...
    (microsoft.public.de.fox)
  • Re: Start-Programm
    ... Foxpro diese wieder aus- ... Systemvariable _STARTUP, welche beim Start der VFP IDE automatisch ... ON PAD UtilPad OF _MSYSMENU ACTIVATE POPUP Utils ...
    (microsoft.public.de.fox)