Client does not have permission to Send As this sender.

One of our customers is facing a problem in Exchange 2000 server. Here is the
problem description

Exchange 2000 Enterprise Version 6.0(Build 6249.4: Service Pack 3) is
running in Front-end and Back-end topology. Customer has three Exchange
front-end server, one of them is being used by POP3 users. They use both POP3
and SMTP of that server. Customer has removed Anonymous Access from Access
Controlà Authentication tab under Default SMTP Virtual Server so that anyone
who wants to use SMTP should authenticate first. On client side, users are
specifying that My outgoing SMTP server requires authentication.
Authenticated SMTP is working fine for most of the POP3 users but some are
getting the following error messages.

1) The message could not be sent because the server rejected the
sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'roy@xxxxxxxxxx'.