Re: Event ID 7004

That is often caused by intra-Exchange-organization mail being routed through an SMTP host that doesn't support that command, and almost none except Exchange servers do. That's most often due to one or more of your Exchange SMTP 2003 virtual servers being configured to use a smart host. If that's the case, then you should create an SMTP Connector, configure the smart host in it, and then remove the smart host setting from the SMTP virtual server.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

"Pat" <Pat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1C575C09-DFFF-4FAF-9D38-E53E0FAC86CA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quick question here. I have a Mixed mode Exchange 2007 and 2003 SP3
enviroment. I am seeing the Error with the Event ID 7004 "This is an SMTP
Protocol Error log for Virtual Server ID1, Connection #663. The Remote Host
"10.10.10.123", responded to the SMTP command "Xexch50" with "500 5.5.2 error
proccesing XEXC50 command"

That IP address is our Exchange 2007 CAS server and the error is showing up
on our 2003 server. So looking up this error the only thing i keep finding
talks only about Exchange 2000 and 2003 and nothing with 2007. The fix i keep
seeing is about doing a reg hack on the mailserver to set it to suppress
External emails under the XEXCH50 subkey.

Has anyone else seen this error in ta mixed mode.

Thanks,

  • [NT] Vulnerability in Exchange Server Could Allow Arbitrary Code Execution (MS03-046)
    ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... In Exchange Server 5.5, a security vulnerability exists in the Internet ... an unauthenticated attacker to connect to the SMTP port on an Exchange ...
    (Securiteam)
  • RE: SMTP error (only from Outlook)
    ... This issue appeared on specify user or all SMTP clients? ... If yes, in Exchange System ... Is there any local bridgehead server listed in "Local ... to over three dozen open relay block lists. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: strange email errors
    ... you to check the relay configuration on the SBS server. ... please restart the SMTP virtue server and Exchange ... Please also refer to the following steps to create a new SMTP Connector to ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Exchange issues
    ... Are you up to date on all your Service Packs, both Windows and Exchange? ... > all traffic on port 25 to the SBS Exhange server. ... I suspected SMTP relaying becuase ... > You should verify that the server really isn't an open relay: ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.admin)
  • Filtering email on ISA
    ... Unless you choose to create a new IIS SMTP Virtual ... Server, ordinarily you will want to Server Publish ... directly to the Exchange SMTP, ...
    (microsoft.public.isa)