Re: Event ID 7004

That is often caused by intra-Exchange-organization mail being routed through an SMTP host that doesn't support that command, and almost none except Exchange servers do. That's most often due to one or more of your Exchange SMTP 2003 virtual servers being configured to use a smart host. If that's the case, then you should create an SMTP Connector, configure the smart host in it, and then remove the smart host setting from the SMTP virtual server.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

"Pat" <Pat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1C575C09-DFFF-4FAF-9D38-E53E0FAC86CA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quick question here. I have a Mixed mode Exchange 2007 and 2003 SP3
enviroment. I am seeing the Error with the Event ID 7004 "This is an SMTP
Protocol Error log for Virtual Server ID1, Connection #663. The Remote Host
"10.10.10.123", responded to the SMTP command "Xexch50" with "500 5.5.2 error
proccesing XEXC50 command"

That IP address is our Exchange 2007 CAS server and the error is showing up
on our 2003 server. So looking up this error the only thing i keep finding
talks only about Exchange 2000 and 2003 and nothing with 2007. The fix i keep
seeing is about doing a reg hack on the mailserver to set it to suppress
External emails under the XEXCH50 subkey.

Has anyone else seen this error in ta mixed mode.

Thanks,

.