Re: how to trace outgoing SMTP connections failures ?

They contain neither frames nor packets - it captures traffic at the application layer. You'll find out about application-layer interaction between SMTP hosts - SMTP commands/verbs like HELO/EHLO, and responses to those (including error codes).

Logging SMTP protocol activity
http://exchangepedia.com/blog/2006/09/logging-smtp-protocol-activity.html

If you want to dig deeper to the network layer and peek into the packets (for example, to figure out why a network connection or SMTP session isn't established.... ), you'll need to fire up a network capture tool like NetMon or Ethereal and capture packets from/to that host.
--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"Pierre" <pierre.bru@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:6b0d5509-dd43-4dfc-bea4-1a7b89c044ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I thought SMTP logs only contained successful frames...

Pierre