ESE EventID 217 and Online backups failing

Hi all,

we currently run Exhange2003 SP1 (not clustered) and just started to
encounter this error when doing online backups. The MS k/b article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889528

seems to cover our situation. My question is that this article basically
says the effected store must not be dismounted cleanly, that you

- leave it mounted
- kill the store.exe process
- apply the hotfix

and once the store is remounted it will re-validate the store.

I have checked and this hotfix is included in Exchange SP2, so my question
is this, could I do the following instead

- Apply Exchange SP2 and reboot server
- Leave the store mounted
- Kill the store.exe process
- Restart the store process

which should then re-validate the message store. What do people think?

Regards

Craig

p.s. One thing did pre-empt this, our store exceeded the 16Gb limit. I was
able to do a defrag on the store and a verfy of the store reported no issues
and it mounted ok.

  • Re: Exchange IS dismounted due to 16Gb limit
    ... Exchange SP2 has other useful features in addition to increasing the store ... > I have a small business server 2003 which has hit its 16gb exchange Limit. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Urgent!
    ... Its included in Exchange Sp2. ... connects to my front end and moves mail via IMAP to the new mailboxes on the ... Mailboxes' was pre-empted because the database engine's version store was ... I have a front end with a backend cluster and one other backend that's a ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Exchange IS dismounted due to 16Gb limit
    ... > Exchange SP2 has other useful features in addition to increasing the store ... > remount the store. ... >> exchange SP2 and increase the store size. ... How can I get some space fast. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS2003 SP2 Mail store increase not working!
    ... Exchange SP2 in order to increase the store size. ... the mail store and re-mounted it. ... Re-entered the registry ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS2003 SP2 Mail store increase not working!
    ... Exchange SP2 in order to increase the store size. ... Re-entered the registry ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)