Re: MIME hdr problems

sandgroper <sandgroper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

we send mail from Goldmine application through our exchange smtp server. A
few emails are being sent back. The NDR is 5.7.1 but in the header I see this
line:

x-amavid alert" BAD HEADER MIME error: illegal encoding [base64] for mime
type message /rfc822

I appreciate this is not necessarily an exchange issue but hoping someone
might know something about this and what I steps i can take to solve it.

I usually see this when I get a message that's sent as an attachment:

From the RFCs (below) your use of base64 encoding isn't permissible
with the Content-Type set to "message/rfc822".

From RFC1521:

As stated in the definition of the Content-Transfer-Encoding field,
no encoding other than "7bit", "8bit", or "binary" is permitted for
messages or parts of type "message". Even stronger restrictions
apply to the subtypes "message/partial" and
"message/external-body",
as specified below. The message header fields are always US-ASCII
in any case, and data within the body can still be encoded, in
which case the Content-Transfer-Encoding header field in the
encapsulated message will reflect this. Non-ASCII text in the
headers of an encapsulated message can be specified using the
mechanisms described
in [RFC-1522].

From RFC2046:

No encoding other than "7bit", "8bit", or "binary" is permitted for
the body of a "message/rfc822" entity. The message header fields
are always US-ASCII in any case, and data within the body can still
be encoded, in which case the Content-Transfer-Encoding header
field in the encapsulated message will reflect this. Non-US-ASCII
text in the headers of an encapsulated message can be specified
using the mechanisms described in RFC 2047.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP