Re: MIME hdr problems

sandgroper <sandgroper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

we send mail from Goldmine application through our exchange smtp server. A
few emails are being sent back. The NDR is 5.7.1 but in the header I see this
line:

x-amavid alert" BAD HEADER MIME error: illegal encoding [base64] for mime
type message /rfc822

I appreciate this is not necessarily an exchange issue but hoping someone
might know something about this and what I steps i can take to solve it.

I usually see this when I get a message that's sent as an attachment:

From the RFCs (below) your use of base64 encoding isn't permissible
with the Content-Type set to "message/rfc822".

From RFC1521:

As stated in the definition of the Content-Transfer-Encoding field,
no encoding other than "7bit", "8bit", or "binary" is permitted for
messages or parts of type "message". Even stronger restrictions
apply to the subtypes "message/partial" and
"message/external-body",
as specified below. The message header fields are always US-ASCII
in any case, and data within the body can still be encoded, in
which case the Content-Transfer-Encoding header field in the
encapsulated message will reflect this. Non-ASCII text in the
headers of an encapsulated message can be specified using the
mechanisms described
in [RFC-1522].

From RFC2046:

No encoding other than "7bit", "8bit", or "binary" is permitted for
the body of a "message/rfc822" entity. The message header fields
are always US-ASCII in any case, and data within the body can still
be encoded, in which case the Content-Transfer-Encoding header
field in the encapsulated message will reflect this. Non-US-ASCII
text in the headers of an encapsulated message can be specified
using the mechanisms described in RFC 2047.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

  • Re: questions about MIME and XSS in email messages
    ... header that the mail client default to plaintext? ... header fields that have defined meaning for body parts are those the ... MIME type and appears to be plaintext even though the XSS code is ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Email module, how to add header to the top of an email?
    ... the trace header fields and resent ... I simply want to prepend my additional headers onto the top ... add headers in a way which doesn't conflict with a *possible* reordering. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Cant do a multiline assignment!
    ... dutifully commented) names to the same constant object if you know ... The many variables are names of header ... course a normal request won't include all of those headers, ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: OT Are Facts Obsolete?
    ... Parsing the server side message ID's to match the Agent counters ... The header of a post does not reveal the newsreader used unless one has ... header fields because then I must scroll down to read the message. ... Harry is way out of his depth of knowledge when speaking about all things USENET. ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: header in email body
    ... I think that what's happening is that some anti-spam software (which seems ... know how any of the anti-spam programs write their header fields so that's ... there is no "too large" for Internet headers for Outlook or ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)