Re: outlook express wont connect using ssl

Thanks for posting this and thanks for all the replies.
I had been testing this out and ran into the same problem. I stopped
because I never thought to consider that it would be an OE problem. I never
even tried it on other clients, such as TBird.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

PSS = Microsoft Product Support Services.

http://support.microsoft.com

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"ulyses_96" <ulyses96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

-- thank you for all ur help. i'll try the OE news groups then. what is
PSS?
ulyses96

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

I had the same issue. You might want to contact PSS, or post this in the
OE
newsgroups. It may be a known issue, for all I know.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne
Read my blog!
http://winzenz.blogspot.com

"ulyses_96" <ulyses96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

-- im using exchange 2003 sp 2

ulyses96

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

I'll try setting mine up. I know I've successfully set up OE to
connect
on
port 587 - it's how Exchange 2007 is set up by default. I don't
recall
if I
have SSL required, though, so I'll have to check and see if I have a
cert
installed that can be used.

I'm also using OE 6 on XP.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne
Read my blog!
http://winzenz.blogspot.com

"ulyses_96" <ulyses96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

-- Thank you for all your help. I think there is a bug in OE
because i
set
my smtp VS which is on 587 to the same settings as my default server
and
then
i get the error. the only difference is the port #. I think OE
doesnt
like
this port. this is OE version 6 though. and my computer is running
XP
pro
SP
2. so i dont know what i need to do now.

ulyses96

"ulyses_96" wrote:

Ok this worked!! so i was able to send using ssl on the client.
but
the
settings on my default smtp virtual server are not the same as the
ones i
need on the other smtp VS. i.e.: i cannot allow anonymous acces, I
have
required authentication, and i have to require at least basic
authentication
with TLS . so now i dont know if the problem lies in the port
number
or
the fact that i am requiring authentication on the other ports.
--
ulyses96

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

You don't have to enable/force SSL. All you have to do is *add*
the
SSL
certificate to the SMTP VS. As soon as the cert has been added,
SSL
should
be available.

It works the same was as it does for Websites. As soon as you
add
the
cert,
you can use SSL if you want to, but unless you *force* SSL,
regular
HTTP is
still available.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne
Read my blog!
http://winzenz.blogspot.com

"ulyses_96" <ulyses96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

-- I cant try ssl over port 25 because that's my default smtp
virtual
server
and it's the one used for all transactions between my front end
and
back
end
servers. if i turn ssl on then they cant' talk. so that's why
created a
new smtp virtual server on a different port
ulyses96

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

I haven't heard that before about OE, but then again, I don't
use
OE
much
for mail :-)

Does OE work if you use SSL over port 25?

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne
Read my blog!
http://winzenz.blogspot.com

"ulyses_96" <ulyses96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message

-- I just doubled checked and no, i didnt check the SPA box.
outlook is downloading email fine so i dont think there is
any
problem
with
the POP protocol
Yes my problem is with SMTP.
OE is set up to authenticate (for outgoing connections ) and
use
the
same
user name and password as my incoming connection.
the certificate im using was generated by a well known
public,
trusted
root
CA.
somewhere i read that OE doesnt like any port for ssl other
than
25 and
465
could this be the problem? im using 587 for smtp.

ulyses96

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

Did you perhaps configure OE to connect using SPA (Secure
Password
Authentication? Are you just talking about SMTP here? Is
OE
set
up
authenticate? Is this a self-generated SSL certificate?
Or a
public
one?
If public, is it from a trusted CA?

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne
Read my blog!
http://winzenz.blogspot.com

"ulyses_96" <ulyses96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message

i installed exchange server 2003 sp 2
on windows server 2003 sp1
i also added an extra smtp virtual server to service all
miscellaneous
clients connecting from outside my organization .
I set up this virtual server to require basic auth. with
tls.
all clients successfully connect. i.e. macs.
thunderbird...
all
except
outlook express.
i tested this on outlook express version 6 and it wont
connect
using
ssl..
whats the problem!??!
help

--
ulyses96

  • Exchange issues
    ... IP address that the MX record points, port forwarding is configured to route ... all traffic on port 25 to the SBS Exhange server. ... I suspected SMTP relaying becuase ... All the Exchange services are running and all looks fine. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.admin)
  • Re: Mail sent through IIS virtual SMTP server not arriving
    ... Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP ... In the Default SMTP Virtual Server's properties, in the "Access" tab, both ... a real sender address on the SMTP virtual server? ... Youi'll find sample code for changing the port number under system.web.amil here: ...
  • RE: SMTPS - Exchange
    ... the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support professionals to ... If the Exchange server is listening on other port rather than ... the external email server will not send emails to your SMTP ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Exchange Server 2003 Smart Host
    ... The Google Mail enable SSL SMTP connection for clients to connect but not ... for Exchange server. ... The Exchange only support TLS for that. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: outlook express wont connect using ssl
    ... my smtp VS which is on 587 to the same settings as my default server ... the only difference is the port #. ... As soon as the cert has been added, SSL ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)