Re: Exchange, Outlook and OWA CAL

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 07:18:01 -0700, Alice
<Alice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

How does the licencing in exchange work? Do the owa users need 1 CAL each
time they access email from Browser?
The outlook users need to buy licenced Microsoft Outlook, but do they need to
buy a CAL too? If all 50 users in a company use OWA only and not the outlook
client, will the default amount of 5 CALs be enough?

Licensing is not the thing to ask here because it requires more than
opinion (and that it ALL you will get here).
You should ask the people who sold or are selling your server license.
They will sort you out with the right type and number of CALs that
will meet the needs of your users and their devices.

  • Re: Licensing (CAL and Outlook)
    ... If I go by per user CAL, it sounds like it is legal to install Outlook 2003 ... purchased 50 CALs. ... The Exchange 2003 user CAL is required for each user gaining access to the ... Exchange Server ActiveSync®, ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Licensing (CAL and Outlook)
    ... How do I know what type of license I got? ... The Exchange 2003 user CAL is required for each user gaining access to the server and entitles access rights to both editions of Exchange. ... Each Exchange 2003 CAL also includes Microsoft Office Outlook® 2003 and permits access from Microsoft Office Outlook Web Access, Outlook Mobile Access, Exchange Server ActiveSync®, or any standard Internet-messaging client. ... I have 1 server license + 50 CALs. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: client license question
    ... Yes, you need CALs. ... the license to access the Exchange server with any client. ... Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.clients)
  • Re: Exchange, Outlook and OWA CAL
    ... mailbox through OWA, Outlook, OMA, etc. then he/she needs a CAL. ... CAL includes Outlook in the Licensing. ... users each have a mailbox then you will need 50 Exchange CALS whether they ... Now if your talking SBS CALS, ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Licensing - Windows Server CALs
    ... My understanding is that it is "per server / per user". ... server license plus 5 cals, then you have to buy additional ... cals to connect to that server. ...