Re: Merge two files no single unique identifier

I've done this in the past.

Create that unique key in each worksheet.

Copy both sets of keys to a new (third) worksheet.

Use data|filter|advanced filter to eliminate the duplicates. Now the list in
the third location is a list of unique keys from both worksheets.

Debra Dalgleish shows how:
http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#FilterUR

Then used either =vlookup() or =index(match()) to retreive values from the
original two worksheets.

Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes on =vlookup() and =index(match()) here:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
and
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))

"Kenneth C. Benson" wrote:

Thanks, Dave

I finally figured out that I'm working with two subsets of a larger
file. IOW, even though File A had more entries than File B, there were
50 entries in File B that weren't in File A, and 731 entries in File A
that weren't in File B.

So I used Merge Tables Wizard to merge File B into File A and then I
went through the merged file and found (just by looking) the 50 entries
that were in File B that didn't make it into the merged file. Now I'm
copying the missing File B entries, one by one, into the merged file.

There's probably a better way, but I've already been working on this all
day.

Ken Benson

--

Dave Peterson

  • Re: How to sort/update large excel db
    ... versions by "new" entries, those newest entries were ... You'll see True if it appears on that other worksheet. ... stuff usually means fix, check, fix, check....until you ... > cells someplace. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • Re: How to sort/update large excel db
    ... For a unique key value, I am thinking of date & ... records & simple fill-in's of blank cells, ... anything more than simple math spreadsheets in Excel. ... >> You'll see True if it appears on that other worksheet. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • Re: Import/merge data
    ... easy to go through and delete duplicate entries. ... social security number, and other data. ... second worksheet into the first, matching the last names so I have ... The combined column ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • Re: How to sort/update large excel db
    ... You'll see True if it appears on that other worksheet. ... > column with all unique entries. ... > cells someplace. ... On 2 of the earlier database versions, ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • Re: Lookup and Display Multiple Unique values based on criteria
    ... I need a formula so that I can type in a part number on the other worksheet ... and generate summary data on all the entries for that part number. ... Use advanced filters. ...