Re: Comparing data within 2 lists

I think the easiest way would be a VLOOKUP from one list to the other.
Assuming that the building number is in column A and the colour is in column
B in both worksheets, you could add a column C with the VLOOKUP

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A:$B,2,FALSE) would pick up the colour from the second
sheet. You could then add a further column D to highlight the differences.

=IF(B1=C1,"","inconsistent")

Drag C1 and D1 down to the end of your data.

Or you could use a similar formula in Conditional Formatting to highlight
the whole row.

Regards

Trevor

"Jenn L." <JennL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have been asked to compare lists from my 2 main systems. They believe
that
the information of them is not consistent. How would I compare the 2 lists
in
Excel since there are over 30 thousand records on them. Information:

List 1 List 2
Building no. Color Building no. Color

Building 1 Blue Building 2 Red
Building 2 Red Building 4 Yellow
Building 3 Yellow Building 5 Orange
Building 4 Green Building 1 Green
Building 5 Orange Building 3 Yellow

THANKS!

  • RE: Data table function
    ... Vlookup only selects the first ... Probably now look at the data sheet to see if I can clean it up a bit. ... You would have that type in cell ... the last one must be false for unsorted lists. ...
  • Re: Finding Closest Text Match
    ... was using that as an example of comparing entries in two lists). ... My lists are not huge so I some degree of assessment of the results is not ... Basically I was trying to do a VLOOKUP based on a list of names and a second ... Parker on Main Street may or may not be the same Bob Parker on Second ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • RE: vlookup and offset
    ... That was exactly the short and sweet and perfect solution I have been ... and refer to that in the VLOOKUP instead. ... list (eg if you are using Data Validation to create that). ... But this only works until I don't have a new entry in row 16 on Lists sheet... ...
  • RE: Data table function
    ... B1 cell. ... Vlookup only selects the first ... Probably now look at the data sheet to see if I can clean it up a bit. ... the last one must be false for unsorted lists. ...