Mode Indicators in Excel?

From: Spalding (Spalding.1bi8uf_at_excelforum-nospam.com)
Date: 08/24/04

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:09:51 -0500

A good example of a missing mode indicator one for whether the
calculation mode is set to manual or automatic. Isn't there any other
way to find out other than going to the Tools>Options>Calculation
dialog? This has messed me up almost any time calculation gets set to
manual.

Another example is that trying to use stored Custom Views for filtered
lists gives the error "Some view settings could not be applied" on some
worksheets (usually complex ones), but works OK in others (usually
simpler ones). I know sheet protection is one thing that can cause
this (which itself has no mode indicator I've ever seen other than
Tools>Protection), but there must be some other property or setting
that is causing that problem.

Shouldn't the status bar show such indications, like it does for NUM
LOCK and CAPS LOCK?

---