Re: Excel Count Functions

Someone must be able to do better than this

call with

=CountChar(B2:E2,"a","b","c")

Function CountChar(rng As Range, ch1 As String, ch2 As String, ch3 As
String) As Long
For Each c In rng
If InStr(UCase(c.Value), UCase(ch1)) Then CountChar = CountChar + 1
If InStr(UCase(c.Value), UCase(ch2)) Then CountChar = CountChar + 1
If InStr(UCase(c.Value), UCase(ch3)) Then CountChar = CountChar + 1
Next
End Function

Mike

"Gary Mc" wrote:

My bad, you are absolutely correct. I apologize for the error!

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Won't that double count if the cell contains both a and x?
--
David Biddulph

"Gary Mc" <GaryMc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I'm sure there are other and probably better solutions but this will work
=SUM(COUNTIF(B2:E2,"*a*"),COUNTIF(B2:E2,"*x*"))
Hope this is helpful
GMc

"Gasbag" wrote:

I am trying to count the number of cells in a row that contain one or
more of
three letters?

.