Re: Excel Count Functions

Someone must be able to do better than this

call with

Function CountChar(rng As Range, ch1 As String, ch2 As String, ch3 As
String) As Long
For Each c In rng
If InStr(UCase(c.Value), UCase(ch1)) Then CountChar = CountChar + 1
If InStr(UCase(c.Value), UCase(ch2)) Then CountChar = CountChar + 1
If InStr(UCase(c.Value), UCase(ch3)) Then CountChar = CountChar + 1
End Function

"Gary Mc" wrote:

My bad, you are absolutely correct. I apologize for the error!

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Won't that double count if the cell contains both a and x?
David Biddulph

"Gary Mc" <GaryMc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I'm sure there are other and probably better solutions but this will work
Hope this is helpful

"Gasbag" wrote:

I am trying to count the number of cells in a row that contain one or
more of
three letters?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: number formatting help
    ... What I didn't know was that the double unary minus would covert the text string to a number and thereby lose the leading zero's, I've only ever used '--' in SUMPRODUCT formulas. ... "David Biddulph" wrote in message ... "Dave Peterson" wrote in message ...
  • Re: Can I Use a Count Function for Text?
    ... letter occurs in that cell and eventually count all occurances of all letters ... and t occurs in that string. ... "David Biddulph" wrote: ...
  • Re: editing numbers
    ... Function trimchar(MyString As String, ... "David Biddulph" wrote: ... "stremetzky" wrote: ... How can I erase the first one or two zeros?? ...
  • Re: Indirect function across sheets
    ... It was the placement of the quotes that was the ... "David Biddulph" wrote: ... CONCATENATE to glue the final string together. ... but then want to use the indirect function to ...
  • Re: CF for specific ranges of time for an entire column
    ... If you are seeing the quotation marks, take them out, ... Excel assumes that it is a text string and puts the quote marks around ... "David Biddulph" wrote: ... result was every cell from D3:D30 comparing to F2. ...