Re: Embedded VLOOKUP function within IF function

If you are using a match type 0, which is the same as your vlookup in
essence it will always return the first match.

You maybe have to restate your problem giving an example and showing
what you want exactly as the solution. In your example

=IF(VLOOKUP(F252,'YB Engineer planning'!G:H,2,FALSE)="Olivetti
Decommissioning",VLOOKUP(F252,'YB Engineer planning'!A:H,3,FALSE),"")

If the first match of f252 in columnG has olivetti Decommissioning next
to it you are then saying rematch this value in f252 in columnA and
return the value in column c next to it.

If column A is different to column G you will not be returning the same
row

What exactly do you want to achieve?

Regards

Dav

--
Dav
Dav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27107

  • Re: Match then lookup
    ... Your =vlookupformula only tells you that the first match doesn't have ... > into C3 and hit ctrl-shif-enter to enter it is an array formula as you ... Same with all cells I try with your formula. ... >>> and VLOOKUP from my formula seem necessary to me, but I want to add to my ...
  • Re: Lookup Function help
    ... A VLOOKUP returns the first match in the referenced range. ... | Why is Excel only finding one instance of the lookup value? ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • Re: is there a way to search with vlookup to match more than 1 column
    ... >>I know how to use vlookup() but I have found a new problem. ... >> multiple columns. ... >> So a second paramater is given and so from the first match, ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • Re: Returning all values based on 2 criteria...
    ... 'I understand that vlookup will only return the first match it finds' ... Probably best to play around with this until you've got it clear in your head, then go onto the dropdown you want. ... tells me if an employee is qualified to perform a task. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • Re: vlookup with merged cells
    ... =vlookuponly retrieves the value on the row of the first match. ... Chip Pearson has some notes on how to bring back an arbitrary match: ... Ryan wrote: ... I've tried unmerging a few to try using vlookup, but it will only return the ...