Partial String Match Using VLOOKUP

I have a large dataset in which I need to find a list of partial string
matches, and then return a value associated with each unique partial
string match.

Example
======

The dataset:

indallastexas
musicfan
bluechair
twentyminutesago

The lookup table:
LookupValue MasterValue
------------ ------------
dallas city
music noun
blue color
minutes time

Desired result:
indallastexas city
musicfan noun
bluechair color
twentyminutesago time

So for all occurences of the word "dallas", I need to return the value
"city" in that row. My dataset is quite large, and I need to repeat
this periodically so simply finding/replacing is not an option. I also
cannot parse the dataset in a way that will put all of my exact lookup
values into a column. There are no character patterns in the data that
vlookup can use, in other words everything is a string and the lookup
values in the strings do not have consistent placement patterns in the
cells.

This seems like a vlookup with a partial match vs. exact match. Any
ideas?

--
cdhmotes
cdhmotes's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29899

  • Re: Vlookup of text returning "#Value"
    ... data in the lookup range). ... string that worked was 254. ... now the vlookup returns #N/A error. ... 4000 of the 5000 values and returning the correct info, ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • Writing an Adventure game with HLA
    ... For an "adventure" style game, ... These two routines lexically scan13 a string and break it up into ... The create procedure is used to initialize a lookup table. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: advanced if?????
    ... > If the lookup value was 0121249367 using the TRUE argument in the VLOOKUP, ... > the various length string until a match is found but the resulting formula ... > formatting to hide all but the matched values and the lookup value. ... >>> Taran ...
  • Need help with GridView and LDAP/GC
    ... I could do the search with GC, and then lookup more ... DirectoryEntry searchRoot = new ... // Add search string if specified. ... // Display Name ...
  • Re: VLOOKUP problem
    ... Sounds like you are trying to lookup the string "123" and the table contains ... but fails for chromosomes 1-22. ... > chromosome number into the VLOOKUP formula, ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)