Re: Why do windows go blank?

"RB Smissaert" <bartsmissaert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sleep won't help

Why do think so?

I am referring to the kernel interface. I have verified that the time
elapsed across the Sleep call is indeed about 100 msec (for Sleep 100), give
or take a few msec (which is understandable).

It happens because VBA is working hard and gives
no chance to update the interface.

I don't think so.

For your edification, try running the macro below while Task Manager is open to the Performance tab. It clearly shows a square wave with alternating cycles of 100% and near-0% CPU utilization. QED.

Don't forget to close all windows except Excel, VBA and Task Manager. I also minimize the Excel window.

maybe you can use Application.OnTime instead.

Why do you think OnTime would have any better behavior than Sleep?

Besides, I indicated the need for msec resolution (originally 30; now 100). I believe OnTime has a 1-sec resolution. In order to get the same "duty cycle", the CPU-intensive macro would have to run for 10 sec before blocking for 1 sec using OnTime. I think that would exacerbate the problem, whatever it is.

The macro....

Public Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal msec As Long)
Public Declare Function QueryPerformanceFrequency Lib _
"kernel32" (ByRef freq As Currency) As Boolean
Public Declare Function QueryPerformanceCounter Lib "kernel32" _
(ByRef cnt As Currency) As Boolean

Sub doit()
Dim freq As Currency, sc As Currency, ec As Currency
Dim dt As Double, i As Integer
QueryPerformanceFrequency freq
'For about 50 sec
For i = 1 To 5