Re: SYLK file format ?

Thanks that very useful !

If I put " in a column it seems to save and read back OK but says it may not
be compatible on save ?

"JE McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
You might find this helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYmbolic_LinK_%28SYLK%29

In article <euDsB$MFIHA.4712@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Andrew Kennard" <b@xxxxx> wrote:

Hi all

I've saved a simple Excel spreadshet in SYLK and opened it in notepad. It
looks quite an 'easy' format

However I can't seem to find the 'specification' document for this file
format anywhere on the web ?

I would like to be able to generate these files from our application so
Excel can open them directly.

Yes I could use XML but want the file to be compatible with Excel 97 up
and
it be able to open it without addin's/conversion etc

Alternativly is the 'native' xls format published ? ... I suspect it is
quite large !

Thanks

Andrew

  • Re: xml data vs. ODBC text driver
    ... Excel can import XML data, but to have it "natively" open, you will need to ... format the XML in Excel format. ... There are quite a few ways I can think of to get to CSV format, ...
  • Re: generate Excel files based on the output of a RPG program
    ... you can write directly to HTML or XML ... CGIDEV2 and can be opened directly by Excel. ... Excel can read an HTML file. ... but we would like to automatically format cell width/color ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc)
  • Re: Average the difference between 2 times
    ... Why use notepad or even a pivot table? ... Just average the times and format the result correctly and you're done. ... Microsoft MVP - Excel ...
    (microsoft.public.excel)
  • Re: Merge from XML
    ... Excel spreadsheet that is sorted and has types defined on the columns (e.g., ... I think I'm still going to take an XML approach as you can import an XML ... using an XSL transform to convert the XML to a format Word can use. ... if you can access SQL Server directly from your workstation you ...
    (microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields)
  • Re: numbers to dates
    ... Microsoft MVP - Excel ... >> which is not too bad for manual entry, since you can format the cells as text ... >> It may not be clear in each of the following, but format your cells ahead of time ... >> You might with some data be able to paste to notepad, ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)