Re: Excel Recent Files Issue

I think that this isn't excel's MRU list. It belongs to Windows.

When you click on Windows Start button|Documents, you'll see a list of shortcuts
to the most recently used windows files.

I don't have another guess.

Jerry8989 wrote:

Dave thanks for the reply but when I test what Jim says it doesn't fix the
issue because I need to change the recent files for Excel. The shell folders
key within the registry doesn't seem to effect the excel recent files.

Jerry

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

First, I don't speak ASP.Net, but...

I think Jim Rech suggested this:

Check to see where your "Recent" folder points to.

If it points at your desktop, that could be where windows/excel is storing the
shortcut.

Here's the link to Jim's post/thread.
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=%23sVeGLbfBHA.2232%40tkmsftngp03

Heck, here's his message:

====

Well it sounds as if your "Recent" folder and your "Desktop" folder have
merged. Everytime you open an Office document a shortcut goes to the Recent
Documents folder. On my machine running Windows XP those folders are listed
under this registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders

You might run Regedit.exe and look for something amiss. I think the Recent
entry should point to something like this: C:\Documents and
Settings\UserName\Recent. If it points to the same place as your Desktop
entry you have your answer.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

Jerry8989 wrote:

Whenever my ASP.NET app creates an excel file and saves it a get a shortcut
on my C drive. The original excel file is saving in the correct place. But
I think the recent file is what is being created on the C drive. How can I
stop this? Can I change where the recent files for excel are saved off?

Thank You

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

  • Re: Two IE icons and Some Tricks
    ... and you can get about 2000 icons from the windows ... folders as well, download folders and zip files, but ... >I noticed that one is a shortcut to a special folder, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Outlook Express 6 download
    ... I always check to Show Hidden Files and Folders right after a new install, so I often forget some that are hidden. ... If OE starts, then create the shortcut. ... > i did find Windows Media player, but it is not listed in my All> Programs ...
  • Sharing an Excel Document between computers
    ... and folders. ... Windows XP, I was able to make a shortcut to this Excel Document on my ... he upgraded his computer to XP and once more I made a shortcut from ...
  • Re: How do i open Windows Explorer via a shortcut with Folders in the left pane?
    ... Try the following in the Target: box to the shortcut to open WE with the C: ... "Windows Explorer Command-Line Options" ... | to folders several levels deep. ... | Folders in the left pane. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Shortcut couldnt open Excel file
    ... Windows Start Button|Run ... excel /unregserver ... Unfortunately the Excel program was running during driver installation. ... I recreated the shortcut and still it doesn't open the file. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.setup)