overwriting adjacent cells

Hello, I have Excel 2007

I have a sheet with rather narrow columns.

Starting with a blank sheet,... if I enter a long text string into the 1st column (column A) it displays fully as it overlaps the ajacent columns B,C.... which are empty.

If I enter anything at all into column B, even the null character, or an IF function which evaluates to null, the text string is truncated to the width of column A.

Is there any way of getting the text to overlap adjacent columns if their cells are null ?

( I am aware of the wrap and rotate options, but they would require a large row height.)

Thanks for all ideas

  • Re: overwriting adjacent cells
    ... I have a sheet with rather narrow columns. ... if I enter a long text string into the 1st column it displays fully as it overlaps the ajacent columns B,C.... ... If I enter anything at all into column B, even the null character, or an IF function which evaluates to null, the text string is truncated to the width of column A. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.newusers)
  • Re: overwriting adjacent cells -thanks but
    ... My fault for not explaining it fully. ... The cells contain IF functions, a few of which evaluate to a text string, most evaluate to null. ... if I enter a long text string into the 1st column it displays fully as it overlaps the ajacent columns B,C.... ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.newusers)
  • Re: RE on strings
    ... TRAYI: ... TRAOI: ... What I wanted is to ignore string ... and string overlaps with and. ...
    (comp.editors)
  • Re: Slow-Running Sub
    ... write an update query that updates one from the other: ... You can include the string ... The new goal sheet ... >> SourceCol As OneField ...
    (microsoft.public.access.modulesdaovba)
  • Help with small fix needed
    ... I am using VB to read an Excel spreadsheet, format the sheet based on the ... Dim folderName As String, fileName As String, filePath As String ... Dim masterWorkbookPath As String, masterWorkbook As Workbook, MasterWS As ... Dim currentRow As Long, currentWriteRow As Long ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)