RE: XLSX vs XLSB - what format is preferably and when?

See this page for a more complete discussion:
http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/2006/07/20/671995.aspx

Primarily you'll note that the difference is whether or not a file CAN
contain macros or not. An .xlsx file cannot (but .xlsm can) while .xlsb can
contain macros, but of course doesn't have to. Bottom line is that as long
as all users have Excel 2007, the .xlsb format is probably the most efficient
way to go.

"Andrey Son" wrote:

Hello.
New Excel 2007 / Excel:2008 supports new formats - XLSX and XLSB. As noticed
in documentation, XLSB is variation of XLSX but binary format used to store
the date therefore XLSB files are smaller in size and faster to load/save. No
any other differences ware founed by me between this two formats.
My question is - when it's preferably to use XLSX and it's prefer to use
XLSB? It's seems to me XLSB is better by all and it's not needed to use XLSX,
but XLSX was choosed as default Excel 2007 format and this fact must have a
reason. What are the main cases to use XLSX and what are for XLSB?
Than you.

  • Re: no copy/paste charts from XLS -> PPT
    ... and then re-open Excel to see if things get better: ... .xlsb is a factor here. ... The .xlsb binary format is not human readable, ... To rule out .xlsb as a factor, use File> Save As and choose .xlsx ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.excel)
  • RE: Using ODBC to export to xlsx format
    ... Here is what is occurring for the three file formats: xlsm, xlsb. ... XLSX: Cannot create new xlsx files - but - can append to an existing xlsx ... But since the ACE driver is not in-band with windows, ... I can export to xlsb format using ODBC driver. ...
    (microsoft.public.data.odbc)
  • Interactive worksheets on the web
    ... I have an MS Excel 2007 workbook (*.xlsx format) that consists of one ... worksheet with an embedded chart on that worksheet, ...
    (microsoft.public.excel)
  • Re: trying to save a file as .xlsx......
    ... By default, Excel 2008 saves newly created files in its native .xlsx format, ... Then do as above but select Excel Workbook (.xlsx) from the Format: ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.excel)
  • Re: Problem with Excel 2007 and Personal.XLS
    ... I understand that .xlsm is one of those xml type files and .xlsb is just like ... Excel that it needs to use the Personal.XLSM file, ... try saving it as Personal.XLSX in native XL 2007 format ...
    (microsoft.public.excel)