Re: difference between cell names and cell labels

Bobby,

A cell name is like A1 (unless you're using R1C1 notation). A range name,
which can be one or more cells, is defined in Insert - Name - Define, or in
the Name box at the left of the formula bar, and can be used in a formula in
place of e.g.: A1 or A1:A20. Look in Help for Range Name.

You can also use labels (on your sheet) such as column headings in formulas,
but it's not reliable unless you follow some rules. I don't recommend it.
YOu have to have "Accept labels in formulas" turned on in Tools - Options -
Calculation.

--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"bobby769" <bobby769@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
what's the difference and when would I use one over the other.

I want to sum values in different worksheets that are in the same file.

A2 is "loans active"
A3 is "current"
B1 is "Credit grade A"
C1 is "Credit Grade B"