Re: difference between cell names and cell labels

Bobby,

A cell name is like A1 (unless you're using R1C1 notation). A range name,
which can be one or more cells, is defined in Insert - Name - Define, or in
the Name box at the left of the formula bar, and can be used in a formula in
place of e.g.: A1 or A1:A20. Look in Help for Range Name.

You can also use labels (on your sheet) such as column headings in formulas,
but it's not reliable unless you follow some rules. I don't recommend it.
YOu have to have "Accept labels in formulas" turned on in Tools - Options -
Calculation.

--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"bobby769" <bobby769@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
what's the difference and when would I use one over the other.

I want to sum values in different worksheets that are in the same file.

A2 is "loans active"
A3 is "current"
B1 is "Credit grade A"
C1 is "Credit Grade B"

Values are in B2:C3

Thanks.

  • Re: copy of excel file not showing formulal/function in the function b
    ... If you don't need the formulas to recalculate, ... The values appearing in the cells of each worksheet are mostly ... the results of formulae or functions entered into the formula bar. ... and worksheets. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • Re: Ranking order of cells.
    ... Now, while C1 is *still* selected, click anywhere in the formula bar. ... You now have a single formula in C1 that's been *properly* array ... As you click in each of the cells in Column C, ... On your summary sheet, you want Column A to display the wins, ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • RE: Numbers changed into zeros
    ... Today when i opened this excel file the cell were showing number like ... No reason I know of that would modify your phone number on the formula bar. ... Rightclick Format Cells ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • Re: Excel Chart Data Range editing
    ... click in the formula bar ... Then edit this new formula and hit Enter. ... then Y columncan be anything, AA, BA, etc. so this drag and grab, one ... adding cells when trying to edit a range line? ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.charting)
  • Re: How do I stop copying the cell protection in Excel?
    ... "Dave Peterson" wrote: ... then you're using excel 2003. ... I suggested pasting directly into the formula bar. ... I have set up a worksheet and proteced the valuable cells, ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)