Re: How do I create a "fixed-width" datafile?

Alex,

I think Dave's solution is what you need. There's a section on fixed-length
text files at http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/textfiles.htm that may help.

--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com/

"Alex K" <Alex K@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Dave,
>
> Thank you for responding. I do need to save the file as a "fixed field".
> the .prn option saves it as a "space" delimited file.
>
> Know how to get it into a "fixed field" format?
> I have about 30 columns of data with 2-35 characters per cell. And about
> 2000 rows.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Alex
>
> "Dave Peterson" wrote:
>
>> If you don't have too long a line (no more than 240 characters per line),
>> try
>> saving a copy of your workbook as a .prn file.
>>
>> Look in the Save As Type box:
>> Formatted Text (Space delimited)(*.prn)
>>
>> I like to change to Courier New font and resize the columns the way I
>> like.
>>
>> Alex K wrote:
>> >
>> > I need to create a fixed-width file from an Excel .xls file to import
>> > into my
>> > FedEx shipping software.
>> >
>> > How may I save or convert my file into a fixed field datafile?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> >
>> > Alex
>>
>> --
>>
>> Dave Peterson

  • Re: Trojan.Dropper.Funweb.A
    ... Dave and Alex, ... Bud Z ... > | and I can't delete it in the safe mode like I did the other. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Find files in a date range?
    ... Dave M said the following on 07/27/2007 08:19 PM: ... "The 'Analog Holes' they want to stop up are our eyes, ears and mouths." ... I wrote the attached Python script. ... Alex ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How do I create a "fixed-width" datafile?
    ... I do need to save the file as a "fixed field". ... the .prn option saves it as a "space" delimited file. ... "Dave Peterson" wrote: ... > Alex K wrote: ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • Re: Trojan.Dropper.Funweb.A
    ... | Dave and Alex, ... | Bud Z ... |> | and I can't delete it in the safe mode like I did the other. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Who is going to Unicon- pictures please
    ... as will the nutters pictured in helmets here, ... alex, and dave): ... Vice President - Southampton University Circus Society ...
    (rec.sport.unicycling)