Re: General Beginner Advice

Mr DePalo

Thanks for your response. A few more questions if that is ok.

(1) Presumably I do not need to pay for a beta version of software and there
are no strings attached?

(2) On the subject of programming, I read a pro develepor ( I am just a
hobbyist) say that it is bext to start with C as this would give the greatest
scope to progress to other languages e.g. C++, C#, Java. Is that fair? Or can
one easily migrate to other languages once one is learnt?

(3) My impression has always been that C# was developed to overcome the
shortfalls of C and C++. This seems to imply that of the three C based
languages that C# is the best? For example, I hear things like C++ does not
have efficient 'garbage collection' whereas that is a forte of Java. I don't
profess to understand all this and am not even sure at my level of
programming it even matters. Still, as an MVP could you comment

(4) My first introduction was with VBA and I thoroughly enjoyed it and was
enthused by the ability to create my own applications to streamline
day-to-day work. I am looking to expand so that I can create standalone apps
on the Windows platform as well as have the ability to create some web based
stuff too. I did a search on the most sort after computer skills and C++ and
Java figure highly, more so than VB. So I figured that C++ must be a good
starting point and have many worthwhile uses.

(5) Finally, a dummies question. What do I need to create an application on
Windows that can sit as a desktop icon and run without any other environemnt
open? Can I do this with Visual Studio or do I always have to have it running
in the background?

In general I am trying to find the best way to go. Given the effort I will
put in to learning a new language I would like to make the right choice from
the start.

I hope that you can find time to comment. I'd enjoy listening to your
opinions.

Best regards

Alex

"William DePalo [MVP VC++]" wrote:

> "Alex" <Alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > I am intersting in developing and my background is VBA used in Excel and a
> > brief intro to Java.
>
> OK.
>
> > I am interested in learning beyond VB and feel that C++ would be a very
> > good
> > language to get to know and give a lot of flexibility (if not tough to
> > learn).
>
> Right on all counts.
>
> > I would like some advice on the merits of learning C++ versus C# or Visual
> > Basic or Java for that matter.
>
> C++ is the most widely used general purpose language whose goal is to give
> its developers the widest lattitude. C# is a great language for developing
> applications that run on the .Net platform and Java isn't bad as a
> cross-platform, object oriented language. Both C# and Java favor simplicity
> over performance and expressiveness.
>
> > Please forgive my naivety at this point. I want to buy the Visual Studio
> > that MS offers. Presumably I would want to buy Visual Studio.NET and this
> > would enable programming in both Visual Basic and C++ for both Windows and
> > Internet projects?
>
> I wouldn't buy anything yet. I'd go here and download the betas of the
> starter editions of the next version of the developer tools here:
>
> http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/
>
> Get a feel for the language and environment and choose one you like.
> Sometime later this year (the products all have 2005 in the name <g>) you
> should be able to buy the released version of your chosen language.
>
> > Somebody told me that VB 6 is 'outdated' and that I must get .NET.
>
> Outdated or not, it is dead. Mainstream support is over. MS has said they
> will invest no more resources in that tool.
>
> > Does this make sense?
>
> It is a reality.
>
> Regards,
> Will

  • Re: Comparing Lisp conditions to Java Exceptions
    ... All the ISO standards in the world will not make the world ... Nothing keeps you from annotating your program with exceptions based on what ... language should adhere to your theory. ... Curiously, although you don't say it, Java has the opposite problem. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: casts
    ... This is why most shit programmers refuse to learn languages including ... C Sharp and Java. ... compiler in a later edition of Visual Basic, ... language for processing data. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: C, really portable?
    ... > Wait, is Java a modern language superior to C, or is it still ... It is a much better OO language than C++, ... It depends what you are doing, Java aims for rigorous portability - the same ... regardless of platform. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Is anybodys favorite computer programming language not included here?
    ... to talk about getting me some paying work writing Java classes. ... and could be copied to a script (as in Java BeanShell or Lisp PROG). ... >> please post a followup saying what language it is, ... Server: "Mother, ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Difference between .NET and Java
    ... My Java2 knowledge is ... Microsoft intermediate language is opened for language developers to ... .NET is compiled to MSIL - this is analogous to Java ... similarities between the CLR and the Win32 API. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)