RE: salted md5 hash

From: Rakesh Rajan (RakeshRajan_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 07/20/04

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:52:01 -0700

Try the
FormsAuthentication.HashPasswordForStoringInConfigFile method.

This does not salt the string. So you need to salt the string before creating the hash and then store the salt along with the hashed pwd for retrival.

--
Rakesh Rajan
"Sýfýrýncý Murat" wrote:
> How can I get hash value for a specified string with specified salt? There
> are some md5 implementations under System.Security.Crptography but I could
> not find anything about salted md5 algorithm.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Encyption
    ... password + salt to produce a unique password ... using HMACxxx is the wrong approach - or do you want to encrypt the hash? ... my problem is that even if i have a string that is 20 characters long ... private string HashString ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: Please Help - Encryption Problems
    ... Creating a Salt Value ... public static string CreatePasswordHash ... return hashedPwd; ... >> Dim PwdAs String = Trim ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)
  • Re: Please Help - Encryption Problems
    ... Creating a Salt Value ... public static string CreatePasswordHash ... return hashedPwd; ... >> Dim PwdAs String = Trim ...
  • Re: Reversible hash to transform series of small integers into well-distributed output values?
    ... standard hash isnt' reversible. ... > I'm trying to find a reasonable REVERSIBLE scheme for generating long, ... > generating a random string of random length and prepending it to each ... > and I'd like to use a different salt for each active user (generated ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • RE: Strange PasswordRecovery behavior?
    ... "EncryptMe" ... The password salt is used to further protect the password from attaching by ... using a random string to prefix the password before hashing it: ... #Security Briefs: Hashing Passwords, The AllowPartiallyTrustedCallers ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)