Recommended C#/.NET Book

From: kuphryn (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 04/07/04

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 15:51:02 -0700

Hello.

After analyzing the software industry, I believe C# and .NET are and will remain apart of a major set of development tool on the Win32 and Win64 platform second to only a combination of C/C++. With that in mind, I would like to ask what is the most complete and advanced programming book on C#/.NET?

Here are the books I am considering.

Programming Microsoft .NET by Jeff Prosise

Pro: Very good overall
Con: Broad and emphasizes .ASP

Programming Windows with C# (Core Reference) by Charles Petzold

Pro: Complete - discusses all GUI tools, etc.
Con: Fundamental - many examples of Windows Forms and no advanced design including multithreading, etc.

Applied Microsoft .NET Framework Programming by Jeffrey Richter

Pro: Extensive coverage of CRT and .NET
Con: Overrated, lacking advanced subjects including multithreading, etc. It is not like his previous book on Win32 programming.

I am trying to buy as few books as possible and still acquire a good overall understanding of C#/.NET and extensive converage of the framework for maximizing an application's performance. I am interested in multithreading, multiple processes, memory mapping, IPC, serial communication, socket, etc.

I believe I can learn the specifics (GUI) via experimenting, MSDN, and of course forums.

Thanks,

Kuphryn

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Equivalent code to the bool() built-in function
    ... Remind me some day to finish work on my "ultimate programming ... The expression evaluator can be taught to interpret Dungeons & ... Pro: You can do anything. ... Con: You can do anything. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Recommended C#/.NET Book
    ... > Programming Microsoft .NET by Jeff Prosise ... > Pro: Extensive coverage of CRT and .NET ... > Con: Overrated, lacking advanced subjects including multithreading, etc. ... you can download some of this books ...
  • Re: Equivalent code to the bool() built-in function
    ... Remind me some day to finish work on my "ultimate programming ... The expression evaluator can be taught to interpret Dungeons & ... Pro: You can do anything. ... Con: You can do anything. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Bubble Trouble: Why Pan Am, Parks and Rec and 12 Other Shows Could Go Pop!
    ... Pro: It's a cult hit with a vocal and supportive audience. ... more viewers; it's peaked. ... Con: You don't hear a lot of people gathering around the water cooler ... Chances of renewal: Could go either way. ...
    (rec.sport.pro-wrestling)
  • Re: Bubble Trouble: Why Pan Am, Parks and Rec and 12 Other Shows Could Go Pop!