Recommended C#/.NET Book

From: kuphryn (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 04/07/04

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 15:51:02 -0700

Hello.

After analyzing the software industry, I believe C# and .NET are and will remain apart of a major set of development tool on the Win32 and Win64 platform second to only a combination of C/C++. With that in mind, I would like to ask what is the most complete and advanced programming book on C#/.NET?

Here are the books I am considering.

Programming Microsoft .NET by Jeff Prosise

Pro: Very good overall
Con: Broad and emphasizes .ASP

Programming Windows with C# (Core Reference) by Charles Petzold

Pro: Complete - discusses all GUI tools, etc.
Con: Fundamental - many examples of Windows Forms and no advanced design including multithreading, etc.

Applied Microsoft .NET Framework Programming by Jeffrey Richter

Pro: Extensive coverage of CRT and .NET
Con: Overrated, lacking advanced subjects including multithreading, etc. It is not like his previous book on Win32 programming.

I am trying to buy as few books as possible and still acquire a good overall understanding of C#/.NET and extensive converage of the framework for maximizing an application's performance. I am interested in multithreading, multiple processes, memory mapping, IPC, serial communication, socket, etc.

I believe I can learn the specifics (GUI) via experimenting, MSDN, and of course forums.

Thanks,

Kuphryn