Re: Periodic housekeeping code strategy?

Ok

thanks

Bill

"Ben Voigt" <rbv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uvh6g6n0GHA.4956@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Carl Daniel [VC++ MVP]" <cpdaniel_remove_this_and_nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uBChj2b0GHA.772@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bill wrote:
I think you are saying that a system.thread.timer will work but you
prefer something else.

Can you expand on this a little - I'm not sure what you are
recommending

Make and install a Windows Service that does your periodic housekeeping (perhaps by simply invoking one of your web services, or perhaps by working "behind the scenes", depending on exactly what that housekeeping is.

See the System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase class in the .NET framekwork SDK documentation for information on building a windows service in .NET. It's quite easy.

Why is everyone recommending re-inventing this wheel, when the cron daemon -- oops I mean Scheduler service -- is perfectly suited for the task? Are there major security problems with the scheduler service so that no one will use it?

-cd

.