Re: What is the difference between WCF service and web service

WCF "web services" are part of a much broader spectrum of remote
communication enabled through WCF. You will get a much higher degree of
flexibility and portability doing things in WCF than through traditional
ASMX because WCF is designed, from the ground up, to summarize all of the
different distributed programming infrastructures offered by MS. An endpoint
in WCF can be communicated with just as easily over SOAP/XML as it can over
TCP/binary and to change this medium is simply a configuration file mod. In
theory this reduces the amount of new code needed when porting or changing
business needs, targets, etc.

ASMX is older than WCF, and anything ASMX can do so can WCF (and more).
Basically you can see WCF as trying to logically group together all the
different ways of getting two apps to communicate in the world of MS; ASMX
was just one of these many ways and so is now grouped under the WCF umbrella
of capabilities.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ben Rush

"Andrew" <Andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello, friends,

Just wonder what is the difference between WCF services and web services?
WCF services is a kind of web services, or, web services is a kind of WCF
services? Or just two different implementation which basically do the same
thing?

Thanks.

  • Issues hosting WCF web service object in IIS
    ... I'm trying to get my head around the real advantages of using WCF ... web services as opposed to good-ol .asmx files. ... For WCF web services, I have to create a class library to house my ... Now my problem is getting this thing hosted in IIS. ...
  • Re: Middle Tier Dev for legacy app
    ... Just adding to what Luke said, I'd recommend WCF over web services if you can. ... WCF doesn't have any notion of sessions so if you want to maintain context information about the clients on your server you'll have to build your own framework for doing that. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.distributed_apps)
  • RE: Mobile 2 Server: WCF or asmx
    ... We use WCF extensively on a Warehouse Management System we built ... devices and the Server. ... Frankly, I was hoping that the MsmqBinding would be available on the mobile, ... GUI app communicating with a server with web services. ...
  • Re: How to return a user-defined data type object from a webservice?
    ... John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer ... It's just not how Web Services works. ... Web Services standards. ... when you create a Service Reference (the WCF equivalent of a Web Reference), ...
  • Re: Application Server in .NET
    ... What exactly characterizes the "hole" and how exactly ... it needs to work on many different distributed servers. ... How is Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) ... loosely-coupled Web Services doesn't mean your system ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.distributed_apps)