Re: Locating RegAsm.exe

I hope you're not in a Setup & Deployment Project or any other half-way
decent install tool because these tools do registration for you anyway.

--
Phil Wilson
Definitive Guide to Windoows Installer

"Christian Blackburn" <christian.Blackburn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi Gang,

Does anyone know a best practices method for locating the correct
version of RegASM.exe using the registry?

This is the strategy I've come up with and just want to make sure
there isn't something potentially problematic in my method:

1. Read "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework,
InstallRoot" to determine the .NET framework's path
2. Figure out what revision of .NET the folder is named after:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\policy\v2.0,
locate the first value in there and then append that to the path from
step 1:

In other words add the following together "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET
\Framework\" + "v2.0." + "50727" making:
C:\Windows\microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

from there I just look for regasm.exe in that folder. Am I do
anything wrong here? Is there an easier way? Perhaps a single
registry key read that yeilds the path directly and more reliably?

Thanks,
Christian Blackburn

  • Re: Error opening & saving attachments in OE6
    ... I don't see how downloading ie6setupOe.exe is going to install OE. ... I always clean the Prefetch folder ... deleting all .pf files and leaving only the layout.ini file - as per advice ... have affected my OE6 and/or the registry. ...
  • Re: Cannot open Help and Support in XP
    ... I tried running the SFC /SCANNOW from the Run command but it prompted me for CDs and I never got CDs with this PC. ... OEM installs, which store the install information on a hidden partition, usually store the Windows files in the C:\i386 folder. ... After adding a registry entry that I was told about on this newsgroup, the o/s now gives "Cannot find HelpCtr.exe". ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: update fails with 0x800703E3 error
    ... Delete *ALL of the contents* of SoftwareDistribution, not the folder itself ... Close Windows Explorer ... Double click WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe to install the required files. ... My earlier reference to the registry was that other solutions to similar ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: STILL Cant Run SFC
    ... Copy i386 from CD-ROM to the Root folder of D: ... Reboot for Registry changes to be validated. ... how do you change the CD install key-I copied the i386 from the CD and copied it to my D drive, I changed that value in regedit from my CDROM to the D drive-BOTH sourcepaths were changed, but sfc kept asking for serv pack ...