Re: problem downloading word documents

On Mar 27, 12:05 pm, "Alexey Smirnov" <alexey.smir...@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Mar 27, 11:09 am, cyus...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Mar 27, 3:22 pm, "Eliyahu Goldin"

<REMOVEALLCAPITALSeEgGoldD...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
How big is the document? There is a known issue with Response.WriteFile when
downloading large files.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant

<cyus...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Hi,

We have just moved our application to a new webfarm server environment
which utilizing hardware load balancing, SSL off-loading and HTTP
compression off-loading.My application is running on .NET 1.1, IIS 6,
Win2003.

Now we are having problem when trying to download word documents
located in the file server. It often says Internet Explorer cannot
download <filename> from <servername>. Sometimes we are able to view
the MSWord file, but most of the time we cannot open the document.

This is how I stream out the word contents to the browser
Response.ContentType = "application/msword";
Response.AddHeader("content-disposition","attachment; filename=" +
document.DocumentPath);
Response.AppendHeader("Content-Length", file.Length.ToString());
Response.WriteFile(file.FullName);
Response.Flush();
Response.End();

I was informed that we have excluded application/msword from the
compression list.

Any idea what else could cause the problem in downloading the word
document?

Thanks a lot.- Hide quoted text -

The file size is certainly not large. I've exprienced this problem
even when I tried to download a 51kb file. The file that we have has a
maximum of 4MB size limit.- Hide quoted text -

Try to follow the code of this articlehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/812406

Maybe this helps- Hide quoted text -

If http compression for aspx is enabled, try to disable it.

  • Re: Why is the code in .sys drivers slightly different in memory than on disk!?
    ... > Doesn't help the speed of downloading drivers from the net ... Anyway this is a red herring while discussing live EXE compression - the ... "EXE compressors" are targeted at reducing the disk footprint and - if the disk ...
  • Re: connecting @ 100k via dial-up modem
    ... On Fri, 03 Apr 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.dcom.modems, in article ... Depends on what you are downloading. ... which means that the ITU v.42bis "hardware" data compression was done ... Some services actually do increase speed by acting as a proxy server, ...
    (comp.dcom.modems)
  • Re: why use ftp if http provides the same services???
    ... >> when downloading a file often the websites give two option..either ... >> download it from a ftp site or http.. ... >> html.eg.word,spreadsheet file) from http server and ftp server.? ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Infima - Bug fix release
    ... downloading at: www.myinfima.com ... Fix for the WAV bit-to-bit reconstruction problem (We have weakened ... Fix renaming problems of original files. ... The most important feature of a compression program is that it does ...
    (comp.compression)
  • Re: how accept-encoding and transfer-encoding go together?
    ... related, rather than compression related. ... the server should get the entire contents and gzip the whole contents ... An http server can do three things vis-a-vis sending the client the ... I had full buffer allocated for the response content. ...
    (comp.compression)