Re: Issues with connecting from .NET to Sybase ASE 12

From: Robert Bruckner [MSFT] (robruc_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 08/05/04

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:24:44 -0700

I have not done it myself, but this should get you started with using Sybase
ASE 12 in Reporting Services:

* First, you have to make sure the ASE data provider is installed correctly,
so that the report designer in VS.NET and report server inside ASP.NET are
able to load the dlls of the data provider at runtime. Note: there could be
file system permissions issues which prevent ASP.NET from accessing the ASE
data provider dlls. You might want to try to copy the dlls directly into the
report designer and report server installation directories.

* close down all VS.NET sessions before modifying rsReportDesigner.config
* backup the existing rsReportDesigner.config and rsReportServer.config

* Add these entries to rsReportDesigner.config in the Data section:
<Extension Name="Sybase"
Type="Sybase.Data.AseClient.AseConnection,Sybase.Data.AseClient"/>
... and in the Designer section:
<Extension Name="Sybase"
Type="Microsoft.ReportDesigner.Design.GenericQueryDesigner,Microsoft.Reporti
ngServices.Designer"/>

* Stop the ReportServer Windows service
* Add this entry to rsReportServer.config in the Data section:
<Extension Name="Sybase"
Type="Sybase.Data.AseClient.AseConnection,Sybase.Data.AseClient"/>
* Restart ReportServer Windows service
* Reset IIS/ASP.NET by running iisreset from the command line

There are several people on this newsgroups who have indicated they are
using Sybase. Not sure if they have tried the managed Sybase provider.

You might also want to read this thread:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.sqlserver.reportingsvcs&mid=f02812e9-65de-4007-a142-b689522d4c93&sloc=en-us
As indicated in the thread, it should work on the report server, but I'm not
sure about the report designer. It will depend on how the Sybase ASE
provider is implemented internally.

Documentation on the config files:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/RSPROG/htm/rsp_prog_extend_dataproc_8iqq.asp

--
Robert M. Bruckner
Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services
"Ian Allchin" <ian.allchin@talk21.com> wrote in message
> Further to my earlier posting, I contacted Sybase who were helpful.  I
> have resolved the first issue.  My Sybase installation was corrupted,
> so I uninstalled completely.  I then installed Sybase ASE 12.5.2 PC
> Client which includes the ASE ADO .NET Provider.  I have been able to
> write a .NET Windows Forms application using this provider in very
> much the same way as the SQL Server .NET Provider.
>
> Information about the Sybase ASE .NET Data Provider can be found at:
>
> http://sybooks.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-adonet/asnetg0110e/adonet
>
> I AM STILL LOOKING FOR HELP ON HOW TO CONNECT TO SYBASE ASE 12 FROM A
> SQL SERVER REPORTING SERVICES PROJECT.  PLEASE RESPOND IF YOU HAVE ANY
> INFORMATION.
>
> Ian Allchin
> Alpha Ventures Limited, UK

Relevant Pages