Re: what does wmiprvse.exe do?

From: Alex (alexbalaev_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 11/23/04

Date: 23 Nov 2004 07:13:44 -0800

Check these out:
KB323289
KB319322

"Michael M." <MichaelM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<8A10FD85-C78B-4E65-A395-C7591D4406F2@microsoft.com>...
> Can anyone share some information with me about the wmiprvse.exe process. I
> understand that WMI providers are loaded into this host process, but I would
> like a little more detail on what happens once they are loaded. I have an
> issue with an application I wrote that monitors information on a hardware
> device, where wmiprvse.exe starts using more and more memory to run. I
> noticed this when I was watching wmiprvse.exe in the process list of Windows
> Task Manager. I suspect that the application, which refreshes data in the
> program every few seconds from information in WMI, is possibly overburdening
> this process and that there may be a cleaner way to accomplish my goal. I am
> currently using WMIProv as the provider for the application so I think by
> default it loads into wmiprvse.exe. I am not sure if this would work but I
> have contemplated making a decoupled provider for my application. Maybe the
> application needs to handle the life of it's provider instead of
> wmiprvse.exe. Anyone have any experience with this can you please share with
> me. This is my first time up against this issue. I made a post in this group
> two days ago with the subject "wmiprvse.exe memory usage". In that post I
> pasted a sample of logs from wbemcore.log, wmiprov.log and provss.log hoping
> that someone may be able to help interpret them. If I understood better what
> goes on in that process I may see a solution to the memory leak.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Michael M.

Relevant Pages

  • what does wmiprvse.exe do?
    ... understand that WMI providers are loaded into this host process, ... where wmiprvse.exe starts using more and more memory to run. ... have contemplated making a decoupled provider for my application. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi)
  • Re: what does wmiprvse.exe do?
    ... Thanks for your response Alex, I appreciate you taking the time. ... >> understand that WMI providers are loaded into this host process, ... >> have contemplated making a decoupled provider for my application. ... >> goes on in that process I may see a solution to the memory leak. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi)
  • ATL OLEDB Provider possible memory leak?
    ... I have written an OLEDB data provider using the provider templates installed ... To find the cause of the leak I have created a simple provider using *only* ... Open up RowsetViewer ... problem but the memory leak is greater (indicating that the amount of memory ...
    (microsoft.public.data.oledb)