what does wmiprvse.exe do?

From: Michael M. (MichaelM_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 11/19/04

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:09:03 -0800

Can anyone share some information with me about the wmiprvse.exe process. I
understand that WMI providers are loaded into this host process, but I would
like a little more detail on what happens once they are loaded. I have an
issue with an application I wrote that monitors information on a hardware
device, where wmiprvse.exe starts using more and more memory to run. I
noticed this when I was watching wmiprvse.exe in the process list of Windows
Task Manager. I suspect that the application, which refreshes data in the
program every few seconds from information in WMI, is possibly overburdening
this process and that there may be a cleaner way to accomplish my goal. I am
currently using WMIProv as the provider for the application so I think by
default it loads into wmiprvse.exe. I am not sure if this would work but I
have contemplated making a decoupled provider for my application. Maybe the
application needs to handle the life of it's provider instead of
wmiprvse.exe. Anyone have any experience with this can you please share with
me. This is my first time up against this issue. I made a post in this group
two days ago with the subject "wmiprvse.exe memory usage". In that post I
pasted a sample of logs from wbemcore.log, wmiprov.log and provss.log hoping
that someone may be able to help interpret them. If I understood better what
goes on in that process I may see a solution to the memory leak.

Thanks in advance.
Michael M.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: what does wmiprvse.exe do?
    ... > understand that WMI providers are loaded into this host process, ... > have contemplated making a decoupled provider for my application. ... > goes on in that process I may see a solution to the memory leak. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi)
  • Re: what does wmiprvse.exe do?
    ... Thanks for your response Alex, I appreciate you taking the time. ... >> understand that WMI providers are loaded into this host process, ... >> have contemplated making a decoupled provider for my application. ... >> goes on in that process I may see a solution to the memory leak. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi)
  • RE: FormsAuthentication and "unable to validate data": HELP!
    ... What DB and provider do you use? ... We had some memory leaks when using Oracle DB with Oracle's own dataprovider. ... > I phoned hosting provider B with this question. ... > say hosting provider B gives me medium trust, while I got full trust on A. ...
  • 64-bit: Memory issue with Oracle Provider for OLE DB
    ... When executing "SELECT INTO" queries from linked Oracle servers using the ... Is there a OLE DB Provider for Windows 2003 ... Datacentre Server 64-bit ia64? ... Is there a fix for the memory leak on the ...
    (microsoft.public.data.oledb)
  • ATL OLEDB provider memory leak
    ... I have written an OLEDB data provider using the ATL templates. ... suffers from a memory leak. ... Everything points toward a memory leak within the ATL code - does anybody ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.atl)