Re: 0x80029C4A Error loading type library/DLL. Related to Outlook.Application.

Hello Frank,

Thank you for the information. I think I have a clearer picture now. This a
quick note to let you know that I am performing research on this issue and
will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience. Below
are the research steps I have taken:

1. Trying to reproduce the issue on my side:

I created a Win32 console application from Visual Studio 2008 and type the
following code into it. (The #import directive is used:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238972. If it is not the way you applied to
the application, please let me know)

#include "stdafx.h"

#import "libid:2DF8D04C-5BFA-101B-BDE5-00AA0044DE52" rename("EOF","EOFile")
using namespace Office;
//#import "libid:00062FFF-0000-0000-C000-000000000046"
rename("EOF","EOFile")
#import "progid:Outlook.Application" rename("EOF","EOFile")
//#import "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\MSOUTL.OLB"
rename("EOF","EOFile")

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{
::CoInitialize(NULL);
Outlook::_ApplicationPtr m_pOutlookApp;
HRESULT hr = m_pOutlookApp.CreateInstance("Outlook.Application");
printf("HRESULT: 0x%08X\n", hr);
getchar();
::CoUninitialize();
return 0;
}

I was also doubting if it is because of version specific type libs
(http://www.codeproject.com/KB/tips/importtlbs.aspx?fid=14639&df=90&mpp=25&n
oise=3&sort=Position&view=Quick&select=1024802),
so I also tried
#import "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\MSOUTL.OLB"
rename("EOF","EOFile")
import "progid:Outlook.Application.10" rename("EOF","EOFile")
and run them on different version of Office (Office 2003, Office 2007).
However, the HRESULT returned by CreateInstance is always 0x00000 (S_OK) on
my side.

2. I queried the error "0x80029C4A" in our internal database, and find an
issue report that says, if the path to the TypeLib contains Unicode
characters, LoadTypeLib may fail with the error 0x80029C4A. However, I feel
this is very less likely to happen in Office because uses tend to accept
the default installation path. I believe the path C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\
shown in your log is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\", right?

I am doing further researches and discussing with the development team
members, I will try to get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you again
for your patience. (By the way, if you feel this issue is very critical to
your business, I'd suggest contacting Microsoft Product Support Services
where a Microsoft Support Professional will give you direct assistance
quickly and effectively. Newsgroup is not a very good place to do
trouble-shooting due to its low efficiency in communications. You can
contact Microsoft Product Support to discuss additional support options you
may have available, by contacting us at 1-(800)936-5800 or by choosing one
of the options listed at
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=fh;en-us;cntac
tms.)

Regards,