Re: Disabling Serial Ballpoint Mouse when GPS connected

Is this Garman, Pharos, Tom Tom or other (as in you manufactor)? Is this a
common occurance when this GPS is installed?

My question is why this device is reporting itself as a Mouse pointer, and
my first thought is that the HW ID information in the INF is not setup
correctly to identify the device. What is the ClassName and Class GUID for
the device? Perhaps someone used an existing INF file for a mouse and forgot
to change things to GPS, or whatever.

--
The personal opinion of
Gary G. Little

"RichardB" <RichardB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Doron,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> This partially works. If I disable the drivers as you suggested then it
> stops auto-installing the serial mouse driver - good.
> However XP still recognizes it as a mouse device of some form and brings
> up
> the 'found new hardware' Wizard requesting the driver for the new mouse. I
> can't have this happen in front of the customer unfortunately. What I
> really
> want is to stop XP detecting this is a mouse of any type; after all it's a
> GPS device not a mouse.
>
> When I connect the GPS device it correctly detects it's a Serial port and
> automatically installs the USB to Serial drivers without any user
> interaction. This is fine and I want this to continue to happen. The
> system
> then continues and (I guess) looks at the Serial ports to see what is
> connected to the serial port and to see if it's a mouse. This second part
> don't want to happen.
>
> It was suggested that I restrict user rights to disallow the user from
> installing devices, but this would mean that the USB to Serial drivers
> wouldn't get installed and my program wouldn't get access to my GPS port
> at
> all.
>
> Does anyone know what part of XP looks at serial ports and decides (based
> on
> the data coming into the port) if it's a mouse or not?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Richard
>

> "Doron Holan [MS]" wrote:
>
>> you could try setting sermouse's start type to disabled (0x4), that will
>> stop the driver from loading.

>> --
>> Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. this alias is for
>> newsgroup purposes only.
>> rights.
>>

>> "RichardB" <RichardB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> >I need to find a way of disabling the auto installation of mouse pointer
>> > drivers in Windows XP, specifically the "Microsoft Serial Ballpoint"
>> > mouse
>> > but other Microsoft mouse pointer give problems too. I am having
>> > problems
>> > of
>> > the mouse pointer jumping all over the screen whenever a GPS device is
>> > connected.
>> >
>> > I have seen this problem posted before but all suggested solution make
>> > use
>> > of either disabling the device in device manager or setting
>> > SkipEnumeration
>> > key in the registry. Both of these solution only work AFTER the problem
>> > has
>> > occurred: i.e. after the system has incorrectly detected that the new
>> > hardware is a "Microsoft Serial Ballpoint" mouse or similar and
>> > installed
>> > the
> [...]

  • Re: GPS intermediate driver compatible to old software?
    ... not working on real hardware COM port and you have an application using ... It's possible the underlying hardware driver ... apps calling into them however they feel like. ... I think in general the GPS intermediate ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer)
  • Re: Delorme SA2006 vs MS Streets and Trips 2006
    ... >>with other GPS units. ... This was in the first USB ... it had a driver that did the USB to serial ... > port conversion. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: USB to Serial converter
    ... You might try some of the driver here if those are not the ones that came with it: ... rate I selected for the port. ... Do you have a GPS receiver? ... Do it after the GPS receiver has a fix because many GPS receivers will not output NMEA data unless they have a fix. ...
    (sci.geo.satellite-nav)
  • Re: delete printer
    ... I was unable to find the3 XP driver. ... problem by purchasing and installing the new HP Officejet 6310xi. ... my wireless network. ... how to delete the IP port, and was able to re-add the IP port. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
  • Re: Have to keep Stopping and Starting print spooler
    ... option of installing another printer. ... Use the Add Printer Wizard and select the port created by the setup ... How do you install a printer driver that doesn't match your actual ... The port on the server is set up as a standard TCP/IP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)