CreateFile(\\.\COM1 and old operating systems.

From: Keith Sheppard (keith.sheppard_at_tesco.net)
Date: 09/22/04

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:36:59 +0100

Some of you may have read my previous posting about reading and writing a
COM port as a byte stream using \\.\COM1 as the "file" name parameter on
CreateFile.

If I have interpreted the documentation correctly, I now realise that this
method is only supported on NT, 2000 or XP. Specifically it does not work
on Win95, Win98 and ME. Is that correct?

I just found this out the hard way because a user of my software says that
device communication feature doesn't work on his ME system.

Is there a _simple_ way to drive the COM port to read and write byte streams
on older Windows versions? It's only worth me looking into it if it is
pretty straight forward. If not, I'll just say that this feature is only
supported on NT, 2000, XP or later.

Any advice (especially sample code) greatly appreciated.

Keith

Relevant Pages

  • Re: WME Error 0xC00D2F0B
    ... but I have a new customer connecting and then ... Unable to establish a connection to the server. ... you are probably running IIS on port 80 on that server. ... You can't view the stream "through" IE, it must be viewed through WMP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.server)
  • [Newbie]Problem writing streaming audio using NetworkStream
    ... will generate a list of files and stream them to a port on my computer. ... I'm not sure if this is the correct way to load an mp3 file and stream ... I'm loading the mp3 file into a byte array, ...
  • RE: Streaming to firewall users.
    ... comes with Windows Server 2003). ... mechanism where it tries RTSP on port 554 and if that fails, ... I've set up a streaming server to stream mp3s to myself and few of my ... > Windows Media streams just fine. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.server)
  • Re: strange windows behaviour.
    ... Jeff Kell wrote: ... |> When I try to make a copy of the dll stored within the stream, ... | address port 80, followed by two ... | can't delete the registry keys, even with System Restore disabled (this ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: Solipsis: Python-powered Metaverse
    ... >>>through the same router, ... to be address *from* that particular port. ... was/is a steady stream of updates to both clients even if they send nothing ... > areas of>the packets it sends, the router usually can't properly rewrite ...
    (comp.lang.python)