CreateFile(\\.\COM1 and old operating systems.

From: Keith Sheppard (keith.sheppard_at_tesco.net)
Date: 09/22/04

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:36:59 +0100

Some of you may have read my previous posting about reading and writing a
COM port as a byte stream using \\.\COM1 as the "file" name parameter on
CreateFile.

If I have interpreted the documentation correctly, I now realise that this
method is only supported on NT, 2000 or XP. Specifically it does not work
on Win95, Win98 and ME. Is that correct?

I just found this out the hard way because a user of my software says that
device communication feature doesn't work on his ME system.

Is there a _simple_ way to drive the COM port to read and write byte streams
on older Windows versions? It's only worth me looking into it if it is
pretty straight forward. If not, I'll just say that this feature is only
supported on NT, 2000, XP or later.

Any advice (especially sample code) greatly appreciated.

Keith