Re: VC++ Compiler idioms manifest

From: Don Burn (burn_at_stopspam.acm.org)
Date: 09/08/04

Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 06:47:51 -0400

Sorry, the ten year tail is incorrect. The 4 proposals for ADA were
reviewed in 1978, I can't remember when the first revision of the language
definition was, but it was roughly 1-2 years later. There were at least 2
different compliant ADA compilers by 1984.
The language has changed since then, but it never took 10 years.

--
Don Burn (MVP, Windows DDK)
Windows 2k/XP/2k3 Filesystem and Driver Consulting
> No, C++ is easy compare to Ada.  A full compliant Ada compiler took over
ten
> years before one was written that implemented all features.  It has almost
> every feature from every language ever used before.  I heard one vendor
call
> it "a compiler writer's nightmare".
>
> "Arnaud Debaene" <adebaene@club-internet.fr> wrote in message
> > Jacky Luk wrote:
> >> as I want to build a VC++ alike compiler for my
> >> own use
> >
> > Honestly, this is almost impossible for one single person, especially if
> > you don't have experience in compiler writing. You should begin with
> > something simplier that C++ (possibly the most complicated language,
from
> > the compiler writer perspective).
> >
> > Arnaud
> > MVP - VC

Relevant Pages

  • Re: open source OpenVMS (Re: Oracle-RDB seminar notes)
    ... that the compiler, as well as doing other things needed for the target ... matter which language you are using. ... either the features do not exist (Ada style ... because the design hadn't considered the implications ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Teaching new tricks to an old dog (C++ -->Ada)
    ... > no time there was a fully compiant C compiler available. ... Let's address the Ada side first. ... compiler for C, Ada, or any other language. ... Ada certainly provides facilities useful for writing libraries, ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: Teaching new tricks to an old dog (C++ -->Ada)
    ... > no time there was a fully compiant C compiler available. ... Let's address the Ada side first. ... compiler for C, Ada, or any other language. ... Ada certainly provides facilities useful for writing libraries, ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: Why no Ada.Wide_Directories?
    ... (also keep in mind sometime efficiency is required, and if you want place formalism over efficiency, then you have to sacrifice efficiency, conscientiously). ... If Ada 2012 defines some Design by Contract checks as runtime check, this is not a language flaw, a pragmatic choice. ... Along with that, if a compiler is able to statically check what Ada 2012 designate as runtime check, then nothing in the language definition disallows the compiler to apply all static checks it is able to. ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: Current status of Ada?
    ... learning and using this great language. ... The reason why compilers maker can't make their compiler totally free ... I agree with you that most of the links you can find on Ada websites ... AdaCore has contributed a free gnat compiler to ...
    (comp.lang.ada)