Re: What Formats supported by the Video Renderer filter.

From: "john"

[...]
Can we determine the display format supported by the
video render filter?

The stock video renderers do not support any format at all.
They simply ask the video driver through
DirectDraw/Direct3D. So the set of available formats depends
on the specific video driver's capabilities.

During pin connection, the format is dynamically negotiated.
Instead of writing a separate color space converter, you
could support the conversion internally so that you can
simply offer RGB alongside I420 and, if that is the selected
format after the connection is complete, perform the
conversion.

If you want to keep the converter as a separate filter, you
can implement IStreamBuilder on your output pin so that the
pin can insert the converter after itself if it fails to
connect to the renderer.

If you are writing the application, before you connect the
pins, you can also call IPin::EnumMediaTypes() on the
renderer's input pin to discover what it supported and
insert your converter if needed.

Or you can add you converter to the graph and connect the
source to the renderer, so that IntelligentConnect will
automatically use the converter if needed. Afterwards, if
the converter is not connected, you can simply remove it
from the graph.

Just a note, I420/IYUV is not commonly supported, but YV12
is exactly the same with reversed U and V planes.

To connect to the renderer, you should also take care of
respecting the stride asked for by the renderer during pin
connection. If you don't, the system will have to insert the
MSYUV codec (wrapped by the AVIDecompressor, for some YUV
formats) and/or a ColorSpaceConverer (for RGB formats) to
adapt the stride.

- How media type negotiation works during pin connection:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd390925.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd377635.aspx

- How to respect the video renderer's requested stride:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd388901.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd377489.aspx

--
// Alessandro Angeli
// MVP :: DirectShow / MediaFoundation

  • resolve mov to mp4 problem
    ... Boilsoft video converter completely supports all kinds of RMVB files as source file. ... I am trying to convert Kodak MOVs to mpeg4 for viewing on the DVD ... Video Format: MPEG-4 Visual ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.video)
  • NewestShareware.com Issue #173
    ... An easier to read version of this newsletter in HTML format can ... SoftPepper DVD to iPod Converter - WinXP/2000 - Miscellaneous ... McFunSoft Video Solution can capture videos from web camera,TV,VCR, ...
    (comp.software.shareware.announce)
  • RE: Burning a Video CD
    ... He won't be burning it directly from within Movie ... He just has to make sure his dvd player can play video cd's. ... WMV format will work fine. ... Converter first cuz I think you'll like it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker)
  • Re: Picture but no sound in WMP
    ... You have footage in a propriatary format and you're having issues ... The video converter takes a bit of getting used to and experiamentation ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Review: 4th Ed
    ... I'm not sure how much formal documentation I'll wind up doing here. ... we've been using JavaDoc/DOxygen style ... The underlying format for the comments seems to be similar. ... data layer -- renderer uses data, but data is entirely ignorant of ...
    (rec.games.frp.dnd)