You could do something like this:

public class Animation
{
private float timeSinceLastFrame = 0f;

... cut to the chase ...
public void Update(float timeElapsed)
{
timeSinceLastFrame += timeElapsed;
if(timeSinceLastFrame >= frames[frameIndex].timeToDisplay)
{
timeSinceLastFrame = 0;
frameIndex++;
// Optionally, you can loop back to the beginning by checking if
you've reached the end of the animation, in which case frameIndex would go
back to Zero.
}
}
}

public class Frame
{
private float timeToDisplay = 0;
}

Somethingl ike this would work for small animations.

"Daniel" wrote:

Hey ZMan

can you explain why

if (gametime % 2.0 == 0)

that would work? isn't that just dividing by 2 and if the answer is equal to
show time? I guess the 2 would be my amount of seconds....but after gametime
goes over 2 seconds it would stop?

Really confused by that example sorry.....appreciate the help tho

"ZMan" <zman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Maxamor is correct. For both #1 and #2 you should not base anything on
frametime (unless you can atarget specific hardware and lock the
framerate).

Use the stopwatch class in system.diagnostics to give you a time in
seconds

Then do something like

if (gametime % 2.0 == 0)
show sprite

--
Zman
http://www.thezbuffer.com - News and information for Managed DirectX

"Maxamor" <Maxamor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
As far as animation goes, I recommend not making it based off of "x
amount of
frames display frame 0, x amount of frames display frame 1" etc...

The reason behind this is that each frame may not be the same amount of
time
depending on which computer your program is running on. This means the
animation may look great on your pc, but if it runs faster on someone
else's
the animation would go faster too, possibly too fast.

Make the animation time-based.

That way, each frame can have an amount of time that it displays itself
before it lets the next frame be drawn.

Then, you could just make a 2-frame animation for your flashing sprite.
One
is completely invisible, and the other is completely visible and have
them
both display for 500ms or something. Then all you have to do is loop the
animation.

"Daniel" wrote:

Hi

Any one now a good tutorial or can help me onhow to make a flashing
sprite.
I want to make a flashing arrow.

I have some ideas:

1) lower and increase the alpha levels per frame
2) have it non rendered and then rendered after x many frames..

My problem is for option 2...and 1 for that matter, how do i get it to
flash
at a pace i want?

Is this kind of solution mental? To make a class for the flashing sprite
that i call say SpriteFlasher.

Then in that class have a var for how many frames to allow to pass until
showing the sprite, and another var for howmany frames it should remain
visible for.

Then i could create an instance and pass in the frames passed on every
loop?

  • Re: Fade into a Picture Box or Image Control
    ... Joe users old P3 only manages to draw a couple of frames a second and the same animation takes forever. ... Dim StartTime As Long, EndTime As Long, TimeNow As Long ... Where DrawFrame() draw the frame at the given opacity, I prefer doing this rather than cluttering the animation loop ...
    (microsoft.public.vb.winapi.graphics)
  • Re: Sagnac Threads United
    ... I've made minor internal changes to my animation. ... My animation is NOW for a large rotating ring. ... nature of those 'apparent' motions in YOUR ROTATING frame. ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Re: How do I generate an animated pdf file from xfig/metapost
    ... I will post the source code below for an animation that ... I've done which illustrates how an ellipse is constructed. ... This PDF will have each frame of the ... Draw the ellipse dashed ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: cant figure out a homework.. any help would help
    ... We have given you two Java classes, Animation and Sprite, which you ... Create an Animation object and set the image ... Do this with the first frame of your bouncing ball. ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)