Re: E_OUTOFMEMORY / Keeping track of texture memory?

Nobody has any best practices, or clues as to why the memory would go down
so quick when its doing nothing but drawing?

"Lloyd" <lloydspamsodoff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>I have a lottery style game I wrote in c# with managed directx 9 and I'm
>having problems with E_OUTOFMEMORY. Keeping an eye on
>Device.AvailableTextureMemory I can see that it does indeed slowly bleed
>memory but I have no idea why so I'm wondering what some "Best Practices"
>are for this.
>
> I'm guessing a large part of the problem is that I can't trust that number
> as most video cards use shared memory as well, also because of the garbage
> collector I can't necessarily trust it to be accurate for that time. I
> count the textures that I load / dispose for each game state and the
> numbers add up, and while the game is in play in either state no textures
> are loaded or disposed. However even just letting it stand there not
> doing anything the availabletexturememory does go down at a surprising
> rate. I tried just wrapping all my functions with debug output of the
> availabletexturememory but the start of every function always matches the
> end, and its between them that its gone.
>
> I'm sure that I'm just doing something lame somewhere but tracking this
> down through all my sprite classes is proving very difficult when I can't
> isolate where exactly I am losing this memory. Any pointers / tips?
> Thanks.
>
> Lloyd Christopher
> SLOW30

  • E_OUTOFMEMORY / Keeping track of texture memory?
    ... I have a lottery style game I wrote in c# with managed directx 9 and I'm ... memory but I have no idea why so I'm wondering what some "Best Practices" ... count the textures that I load / dispose for each game state and the numbers ... the availabletexturememory does go down at a surprising rate. ...
  • Re: Memory leak
    ... I'm looking for some tool to find the memory leak happening in one of ... I second that: valgrind ... have tried to completely rely on ad-hoc memory management, ... practices isn't 'the solution'). ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Exchange 2003 Page File - Best Practices?
    ... I am trying to find the best practices for setting up page files on ... Exchange 2003. ... I have read things like memory x 1.5 or memory x 2 or even higher. ... Would the same thing happen on a bridgehead or public folder server? ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Question for Best Practices Analyzer
    ... My question is if Best Practices ... Analyzer will use a lot of memory when running? ... Do I need to schedule off ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • SQL 2000 server EE SP4 and Windows 2003 EE Sp2
    ... Questions on SQL and Windows Memory configuration Best practices? ... Reserve Memory for SQL is 3072. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)