Re: Caps.MaxActiveLights = 0?

You are welcome.

|>change the line to CreateFlags.HardwareVertexProcessing in the device
|>creation, it errors and falls over; but if I leave it at

Yes it is what I said D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING.

|>CreateFlags.SoftwareVertexProcessing it runs fine, (although the colour is a
|>little off - its a kind of green colour, not yellow.)

it is D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING

|>So, many thanks for that - glad to have got to the bottom of it. Guess I
|>will have to ask my better half if I can buy a graphics card now.....<grin>

just add something useful for you: software mode can support almost every features DX provides, and debugging in reference mode can also give you a clear view frame
by frame. Since all of this consumes CPU to render, you may ask to see if you could get a powerful CPU too. :-)

Thanks,
Rhett Gong [MSFT]
Microsoft Online Partner Support
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/msdn/nospam.asp&SD=msdn