Re: Getting started with EmptyProject

Why do you need to turn it off? Turning the lights off has the same effect?
Set an all black 0,0,0,0 texture and you will have the same effect as you
are seeing now.

Yes reflective is not simple - you in effect create the reflections as
textures and wrap them as you describe. If you want an all around reflection
look for environment mapping demos.

--
Zman (mailto:zman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.thezbuffer.com

"Phil Martin" <phil.r.martin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> OK, I've done some more experimenting, and I've found that by creating
> and setting a material, I can get my array of blocks lit as I expect.
> I discovered this when I added a ball to the scene which is a sphere
> mesh with no texture mapping.
>
> My questions now are:
>
> 1) Is there any way to unset the material? I don't need to do this
> yet, but I was a bit surprised that you can't assign "device.Material =
> null".
>
> 2) What's involved in making a reflective material? Can this be done
> with the right manipulation of properties, or do I have to do something
> funky like render the scene into an off-screen buffer and then wrap it
> onto the reflective object? I was very impressed with the HDRCubeMap
> and HDRFormats demos. Poking around, I see that this hinges on the use
> of effects and the fx file. Presumably this is a very powerful
> mechanism that lets one do all kinds of cool stuff. I'm starting to
> dig into this now, but if anyone has good pointers for a helpful
> tutorial, I'd be very appreciative.
>
> Thanks again,
> Phil.

  • Re: 2D in D3D
    ... At initialization, I render all of that to a texture, then ... That works for me because the background sprites aren't changing, ... just may need to move the whole scene around. ...
  • Re: Material/texture-based glow effect
    ... texture, blur it and add to current scene. ... alpha-blended glow effect. ...
  • SHADOW MAPPING - BASICS
    ... => first of all create texture for depth map: ... inside render loop: ... => render the scene (if i render my scene totally normal the visual effect ... updated during depth texture rendering) ...
  • What is the best way to draw small but complex objects?
    ... Hi have a relatively big amount of small objects to render in my scene. ... My first idea was to make a box with a nice texture on it,, ...
    (comp.graphics.api.opengl)
  • Offscreen rendering and flipping
    ... I am trying to render a scene to a pbuffer, and then copy the front buffer of it to a texture, using glCopyTexSubImage2D. ... Everything goes fine, but I tried the same code on another machine with a different GPU, and I got the resulting texture horizontally flipped. ...
    (comp.graphics.api.opengl)