Re: Odd Behavior with DirectSound and Threading

From: Phil Taylor (phil_at_private-citizen.com)
Date: 12/29/04

Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:18:39 -0800

the C++ docs, are of course, the first source to consult. they are pretty
clear in that

If the application is multithreaded, the thread that plays the buffer must
continue to exist as long as the buffer is playing. Buffers created on WDM
drivers stop playing when the thread is terminated.

is the thread that starts the play being terminated before the play
terminates?

"Kevin Spencer" <kspencer@takempis.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know anything about this? I'm adding sound to my Managed
> Direct3D Terrain Modeller, and I found that if I call
> SecondaryBuffer.Play()
> on any SecondaryBuffer from a spawned thread, it has all kinds of
> problems -
> sound doesn't play, or it plays just a bit of it, etc. However, if I call
> it
> from the main thread, it's fine.
>
> --
> Thanks and Happy Holidays,
> Kevin Spencer
> .Net Developer
> Microsoft MVP
> Neither a follower
> nor a lender be.

Relevant Pages

  • A General Sound in Games question
    ... stores up to xMB of sound data and frees that memory as the priority ... You don't want to play all 15 death sounds, but you dont want to not ... Each sound has 1 buffer which is allocated as a streaming buffer ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.audio)
  • Re: Why is this patentable? - have a laugh at this too
    ... The first of two rectifiers comprises one or more thermionic ... isolating transformer, that was claimed to improve CD sound quality, did affect the ... hence increasing the play speed and making the sound appear more ?exciting?. ... I would think if it was too slow the buffer would just run out ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Why is this patentable? - have a laugh at this too
    ... The first of two rectifiers comprises one or more thermionic ... making it play slightly faster or slower. ... isolating transformer, that was claimed to improve CD sound quality, did affect the ...  I would think if it was too slow the buffer would just run out ...
    (sci.electronics.design)