Re: force dx8 loading

From: Minh Truong (mtruong2_at_cinci.rr.com)
Date: 12/14/04

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:43:38 -0500

maceda wrote:
> supouse i wan't to load need for speed underground 2 using DX8 instead of
> DX9, how can i do???
> because mi GPU is very slow with DX9 i notice this in Half life 2 it's about
> a 50% slower with dx9. But half life 2 have a option to downgrade the DX.
> and NFSU2 don't
> how can i make it use DX8?????
> Thanks

Well, switching DX is up to the game to provide, but if a game was
created w/ the DX8 SDK, then it will use DX8. The game can't take
advantage of DX9, if the game doesn't know about it. Now, if your video
card manufacturer latest driver upgrade happens to degrade your
performance, that's a different matter, but DX9 shouldn't degrade games
made w/ DX8.

-----
http://1DudeGames.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Crysis 2 - DX11 patch out
    ... the DX11 pack is available at mycrysis.com. ... You said you went back to DX9 because of it? ... One of these days I hope to do some experimenting with the DX11 stuff, ... because a game likely needs to be designed from the get-go to ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Re: Running DX 11 video card under DX 9 for gaming - what do you lose?
    ... Wonder if I should just stick to older cards that were designed under DX9, or will I still see an improvement running a newer card that's DX11 capable? ... DX may help make the game playable. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: What is up-to-date in game programming?
    ... One year is very short for a game. ... existing engine, and which intends to be so advanced graphically that ... DX9 is old for it, ...
  • Re: Alan Wake DX10/Vista only
    ... John Lewis ... and the wrapper will also convert DX10 calls to ... equivalent DX9 calls or to something simpler, ... If the game contains no semblance of links with the Dx9 API, ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Re: force dx8 loading
    ... Let's say your game uses some functionality which was first introduced only ... How then can you force it to use DX8? ... (as it needs functionality present only in DX9). ...