Re: Recording from a microphone

From: Phil Taylor (phil_at_private-citizen.com)
Date: 12/13/04

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:12:28 -0800

I think you misunderstand the API and what it is providing.

DSound capture allows you access to the capture side of the sound card to
capture audio from an input source, where the microphone is input into. not
from the output buffer.

the docs are pretty clear on this, eg

Microsoft® DirectSound® enables you to capture sounds from a microphone or
other input to the sound card, for immediate playback or storage in a file.
Data can be captured in Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) or compressed formats.

The Capture object is used to query the capabilities of sound capture
devices and to create buffers for capturing sound samples.

The CaptureBuffer object represents a buffer used for receiving data from
the input device. This buffer is conceptually circular: When input reaches
the end of the buffer, it automatically starts again at the beginning.

The methods of CaptureBuffer enable you to retrieve the properties of the
buffer, start and stop audio capture, and retrieve data. On operating
systems that support capture effects, it also provides methods for
retrieving effect objects and ascertaining the status of effects.

so its there. what are you seeing as a limitation?

check out FullDuplex in the C++ samples, it captures from the mic and plays
back thru the speakers.

"marc" <marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How would you record from a microphone in C#?
> I can capture sound from the sound card output (CaptureSound sample in
> SDK)
> but not input to the card.
> Is this a limitation in the managed world?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcus

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Getting the microphone to work on Creative Audigy
    ... I have installed siduction onto my desktop as well as installing at long last my new Creative Audigy sound card. ... I have the KDE desktop and my kernel is 3.1-6.towo.2-siduction-686. ... Rear Mic 81 Rear Mic Boost 53 Capture 81 Capture 1 81 Digital 71 Input Source Rear Mic ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Sound Recording
    ... Have you looked to see if there is a 'mic boost' switch or slider for ... for a sound card - one controls the amount of the mic input that goes ... input goes to through the 'capture' channel to be recorded. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Capture Audio from Sound Card
    ... I am pretty new to DirectX, but found some good tutorials relating to ... I followed along and was able to capture audio ... being outputted from my sound card. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.audio)
  • Re: Fedora 16: No sound after the latest Software Update+Reboot
    ... So assuming that it is plugged into the microphone socket (often ... On the default check the master capture level by ... onboard Intel HD sound card. ... to turn on to cause the meter of pavumeter to respond to sound. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Capture mod. Mic (first) + all Audio (second)
    ... > I'm very concerned about the capture abilities of modern sound cards. ... I'm programming an application which is able to capture mic data ... > Additionally my programe streams background music (DirectShow) and ... sound card and feed it into another sound card line-in and capture on the ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.audio)