Creating textures in AGP memory!

From: Bunnz (www.bunnz.com)
Date: 12/13/04

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:53:04 +0100

Hi,

I played a little bit around with Pool.Default textures. I tested my
application with the NVPerfHud and it seems like the textures are
allocated just in video memory and not in agp - if the video memory is
full, the OutOfVideoMemory exception is thrown. The agp memory usage just
reaches about 2 mb (maybe the vertex or indexbuffer) while the video
memory usage climbs to 64 Mb.

Also creating the Texture with the Usage.Dynamic flag didn't change the
situation. By the way the LastError property of the DirectXException class
returns the value 230 when using DirectXExceptions.IgnoreExceptions().
Seems like a bug to me.

So I wonder if there is a way to use AGP memory without using Pool.Managed?

Have fun,
   Bunnz

--
Purple# - a shader driven 3d-engine using .NET
http://www.bunnz.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: F1 everytime i post
    ... If you have FC4/5 then boot the CD and run memtest/memtest86. ... IMO, it's either the memory, CMOS battery, PSU or Video that could be ... The other culprit is bad memory. ... to me it's a bios problem caused by memory or power. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Is MASM32 an evil Microsoft plot?
    ... I'd guess assembling/linking the game would be memory intensive. ... BGBScript's performance is nowhere near good enough for work with video processing; ... ASM isn't really great as a scripting language. ... in the recent work going into video compression stuff, I am generally also ending up mostly using VQ style technology, mostly for speed reasons. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Video Controller :: Best Practices
    ... The graphics would be entirely CPU based; video memory ... The frame buffer is DMAed to LCD directly; ... Video is not main occupation of the system; ... (If cache is WB, ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • =?windows-1252?Q?http=3A=2F=2Fwww=2Eelectronics=2Dmac=2Dsony=2Ecom_Toshiba_Satellit?= =?windows&
    ... Product Features and Technical Details ... Portable multimedia powerhouse for HD video enthusiasts and PC ... 5-in-1 memory card reader ... This PC also comes preinstalled with Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate, ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: Freezing, Pixilation and Stuttering When Watching Live and Recorde
    ... Depending on memory size, and if protected content is involved I/O could still be going on because of the software overhead. ... In addition to this polling, further device-specific polling is also done, for example Vista polls video devices on each video frame displayed in order to check that all of the grenade pins are still as they should be. ... Time will tell whether this problem is due to immature drivers or has been caused by the overhead imposed by Vista's content protection mechanisms interfering with playback..." ... a recording on my second drive. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)