Re: Learn DirectX needs Advices from Pro

From: James Black (
Date: 10/26/04

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:05:48 -0400

Kepler wrote:
| Hi,
| am 25 years old and I want to learn DirectX .... I want to know
if I
| go and learn C++ and some win32 and DirectX, will I fall behind (the
| philosophy of all managed like C# or I will be obselete in 2-3 years )
? or
| if I learn managed ... would I ever be able to get a job in the
industry or
| work on a commercial game ? (I took a course on Dx9 at
| and it's all in C++ ) but I am more interested in managed compared to c++
| .... it's just seem to be it's safer for a carreer ....
| so from a career standpoint which is better/wiser now ?
| (I already learned some c++ in the past and now I am already doing
some C#)
| What I should do ?
| Thanks a lot

~ Not all games require the program to run fast, many of them just need
to be enjoyable, but knowing all of .net, including how to write
unmanaged C++ code as was mentioned will be useful. That is one of the
better parts of .net is that you can pick the best language for the job,
and if you need speed or better access to the win32 api you can write it
~ in standard C++, and then include it in your program.

~ The more tools you bring with you the better you will do overall.

~ Good luck.
Version: GnuPG v1.2.5 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird -

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Project direction required
    ... Would this be the Win32 API? ... > The mmio calls are a bit verbose, but there are bags of sample code to rip ... Look at AudioVideoPlayback in the managed DirectX documentation. ... and waveOut function set although it is no longer distributed with the PSDK ...
  • Re: C tokens
    ... > You are learning C, win32 API, ActiveX/OLE and DirectX all at once? ... > would be better off if you spend some time coding only standard C and only ... Atleast for now on directx. ... I am interested in win32 API ...
  • Re: Oblivion and other games requiring WinXP
    ... His point wasn't that Win32 was "impure", ... His point was that Win32 API hasn't changed much ... supports DirectX 9.0c. ... because it's just not worth the expense of providing support. ...
  • Re: C tokens
    ... Atleast for now on directx. ... I am interested in win32 API ... > plate. ... I've found a couple of good C tutorials though and I'm going to focus ...